Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Symbel 2017?  (Read 578 times)

Eanflaed

• Hlaford
Symbel 2017?
« on: February 12, 2017, 11:38:48 PM »
Does anybody know if/when this year's Symbel is happening?

David

• Hlaford
Re: Symbel 2017?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:44:16 AM »
Barring any unforeseen snags it will go ahead. The provisional date is August 6th.

Things should be finalised at the witenaġemōt on March 12th.

Eanflaed

• Hlaford
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
Oh goody! I'll save the date :)

David

• Hlaford
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
At the last witan meeting it was confirmed that the Symbel and Folcġemōt would take place at Derby on Sunday August 6th.

Eanflaed

• Hlaford
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 08:57:39 AM »
Where do I sign up for it?? (Determined to get there this year!!)

Phyllis

• thegn
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
Paul and I are thinking of staying over on the Sunday night and going for a curry at a nearby restaurant I remember fondly. It feels less rushed than just going across for the day :)

Anyone else want to join us?
Phyllis

Linden

• Administrator
  • Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »
Do we have any details on this yet?  Like where? - other than 'Derby'.  Or how much will it cost? Or when will it start?  Is it just the Folcgemot and the Symbel or will there be a speaker? 

Without a few clues as to what is planned, it's a bit difficult to assess whether it's worth making the trip from the far side of Essex.  The last Symbel we attended - quite a few years ago now -  was not well organised; we found ourselves - as the last to arrive in the room - having nowhere to sit.
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

David

• Hlaford
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »

Geoff Littlejohns has booked the The Best Western Hotel again as last year. I believe it is planned to be like last year with the meal. Then passing the harp - hopefully Martin and Phyllis will entertain us again. Then a talk and then the AGM. I asked Geoff about booking a place and he said that he was waiting for Ian to come back from America. I seem to remember that the price last year was £20 each and I would expect something similar this year.

Eanflaed

• Hlaford
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 11:18:14 PM »
I heard it was very good last year so am determined to go :) . I was sent some lovely friendly photos of the delegates last year and am really looking forward to meeting them.

Phyllis

• thegn
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
I went to Derby last year and to the one in Elstow the year before and both were very enjoyable. Good friends and interesting talks and natters.

Because it's ticketed seating shouldn't be an issue?

So why not give it a go? :)
Phyllis

peter horn

• Administrator
  • Hlaford
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 03:34:11 PM »
see under 'News and Events'  for information regarding the Symbel and Folcgemot

Peter (Ealdor)
Ic ∂ær ær wæs
Ic ∂æt ær dyde

Eanflaed

• Hlaford
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:25 PM »
I've already reserved the date :)  (Had to reply on this thread as there doesn't seem to be a reply option on your other post, Peter....is it my device??)

Eanflaed

• Hlaford
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2017, 08:22:51 AM »
It's definitely the 6th isn't it? You mention the 8th later in your message but I presume it's a typo?

peter horn

• Administrator
  • Hlaford
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »
It's definitely the 6th isn't it? You mention the 8th later in your message but I presume it's a typo?

sorry about that typo
yes its the 6th August

Ic ∂ær ær wæs
Ic ∂æt ær dyde

peter horn

• Administrator
  • Hlaford
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2017, 11:39:08 AM »
I've already reserved the date :)  (Had to reply on this thread as there doesn't seem to be a reply option on your other post, Peter....is it my device??)

Yes raise queries on this thread please
I want to keep the details on the other thread at the top of the list and not mixed up with queries.
I want to allow more time for passing the harp this year and last year there was not enough time for the Folcgemot
to be properly carried out.  in view of this we may have to omit a lecture.
Peter
Ic ∂ær ær wæs
Ic ∂æt ær dyde