Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: The Bayeux Tapestry  (Read 1676 times)

hidethegn

• ceorl
The Bayeux Tapestry
« on: April 14, 2019, 05:11:44 PM »
 I hope there are other companions who think this treasure important from an English rather than a French point of view? I believe it to be a purely English creation and the earliest document we have about the Invasion.
If anyone has read my earlier books they will know my obsession with the English as the most educated (as well as the wealthiest) kingdom in northern Europe. So it will come as no surprise that among a lot of other information I have tried to analyse the educational standard of the English man-in-the-field in 1066 in my forthcoming book "Decoding the Bayeux Tapestry". (This is a plug!) Pen & Sword books pre-publication £20; publication in May. Hope I haven't broken any rules.

you haven't broken any rules, but I am not happy to see authors pushing their books. this could get out of hand. I may edit this post.   Peter Horn (Admin)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:42:44 AM by peter horn »

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
Re: The Bayeux Tapestry
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
Totally agree with your comments about the sophistication of English society at the time of the Conquest. And the provenance of the Tapestry- I think it is generally agreed these days that it was an English creation.

Locian

• ceorl
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Yep!  An English creation by English seamstresses.  Weren't they the most famed in Europe?  And I certainly can't see it being made in Normandy, as I wouldn't believe they had the wherewithal to make something like that.
Þurh þone wudu Locian

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Hlaford
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 12:14:17 PM »
It seems agreed it was commissioned by Odo, who was Norman, but I am interested in the potentially subversive content.

For example, Harold is called "Rex" throughout (as opposed to being only called "Duke" by the Normans generally) while William is "Dux". It also states "they" gave him the crown ie the Witan, which again reinforces his claim to the throne - not a popular Norman notion.

The scenes where text is left out are also important - and probably deliberate. For example, the discussion between Harold and Edward, adn between Harold and William. You read what you want into it, so a Norman reading could be different from and English one!

There are other examples too!
Phyllis