Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/thaengli/public_html/gegaderung/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/thaengli/public_html/gegaderung/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Battle Abbey Wreath Laying

Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Battle Abbey Wreath Laying  (Read 1274 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Battle Abbey Wreath Laying
« on: August 19, 2019, 04:42:52 PM »
Several Companions will attend our traditional wreath-laying ceremony at Battle Abbey on Monday October 14th. from 2.30 pm. The Companions will cover entry fee to the Abbey on a first come, first served basis, up to 10 members.
Optional meet-up first at The Abbey Hotel.
Contact Maggie Rumble, scīrġerēfa for Sussex, for further details - see inside front cover for contact details.

leofwin

• ceorl
Re: Battle Abbey Wreath Laying
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 09:12:12 PM »
I have meant since I joined the Companions to attend some events and meet a few of you, but you know how it is, life has a habit of getting in the way. However, emergencies aside, I have every intention of being there on the 14th October. I am booked into the Abbey Hotel for two nights (it's a long trek from North Lincolnshire)  and I am looking forward to meeting those others who are going.
See you there.

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 03:05:32 PM »
Leotwin, this is great news. I’m impressed about you coming so far. Do let Maggie know so you get free entry. Then you can also go around the Abbey – there is a lot to see. Last year we had 8 members from Sussex there plus Any Smith and me. I know that Andy would like to go again this year but not might be able to because of heavy domestic commitments. I expect that both Maggie and I will take goods for sale, particularly our 2020 calendars.

I would suggest that you also contact the Yorkshire group about activities. They are very active in Yorkshire and I believe they also come down to Lincolnshire.

leofwin

• ceorl
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 08:15:16 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing you.

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:59:23 PM »
Leofwin - David is right, the Yorkshire group do have a lot of activities and there are already plans for some in East Yorkshire next year - pretty close to Lincolnshire! You would be made most welcome if you could join us.

leofwin

• ceorl
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »
Thank you, Eanflaed. Yes, I have had every intention of attending some of the Yorkshire events and would love to join you for some this year. Circumstances are such, though, that I find it very difficult to commit at the moment but I shall see what I can do. Love to meet you all. I am hoping to get up to Stamford Bridge in September for the commemorations of the battle. Maybe you will be there?

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 10:11:53 PM »
Yes we will all be at Stamford Bridge - do come and say hello (or”Eala”!). We’d be so pleased to meet you!