Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Translation plse plus other  (Read 940 times)

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Re: Translation plse plus other
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2020, 03:19:03 PM »
Hello Wayne -can I ask you what you mean by 'to' in this beginning of a prayer?  Are you calling upon/addressing Tiw, a mother and brother and nature itself or making a dedication only? For example the OE Lord's Prayer invokes God as fæder ure and the Nine Herbs Charm addresses both mycgwyrt and wegbrade all of these being in the nominative which, in OE, serves as the vocative of direct address (or who/what you are talking to).
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 02:52:57 PM »
Hi,
Yes, I suppose it is in the sense you suggest ...it's the opening bit of a prayer which follows, so calling on god's, mother, brother etc like the "our father" in lord's prayer.
So how would that leave us in terms of grammar (I'm getting confused...which doesn't take much!)?
So far, we've got:
 "Tō lēofum Tīwe, [and other gods] tō mīnre lēofan mēder and brēðer [and ieldran] tō þǣm leofan ġesceaftes gāste selfe, and to ealle welwillendeum gastum,"

Many thanks.

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 05:13:46 PM »
You would lose the dative completely and use the simpler nominative throughout. Perhaps something along the following lines - although I offer no cast-iron guarantee on grammatical endings!  I also took the liberty of offering a few synonyms for 'leof' to add a bit more 'punch' and poetry to it; 'swæs' is frequently used to expressed belovedness of kin, 'lufwende' not only carries the sense of 'dear' but also 'friendly' and using the superlative of 'leof'  for the gods seems appropriate.  'Eala' is used in OE as the approximate equivalent of Lat/Eng 'O!' or English 'Hail!' and is an 'optional extra'.

(Eala!) leofest Tiw ond ....., swæse modor ond........,  lufwende gesceaftes gast selfe ond eall welwillende gastas, .........
I hope that this is of some help.

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 05:46:53 PM »
Thank you very much. I like the additional terms of endearment. Very interesting grammatical point too. I will do my best to remember that as I  very very gradually pick up bits & pieces of old English along the way.
Thanks & best wishes.
Wayne

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 06:26:10 PM »
Good luck with the translation.  Have you come across this yet?

http://www.oldenglishaerobics.net/resources/magic_letter.pdf

It is quite useful although it does not provide all possible variations/spellings.

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 09:32:10 PM »
Looks excellent. I've saved a copy.
Thank you.
Wayne