Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Future of the Gegaderung  (Read 320 times)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Future of the Gegaderung
« on: June 15, 2022, 04:37:04 PM »
Hopefully most, if not all, of you will have had your copy of WW 202 by now - another triumph, I should add!

The question is asked within - where now with the Gegaderung? What do you wnat to get from our forum? Or is it too odl fashioend nowadays?

We can't really "do" pictures or videos or sound files, like modern social media, but we can share ideas in a more thoughtful fashion. But only if enough us want to do so.

So now, leofan menn, it's over to you. I shall close the Gegaderung down in September if we have not garnered support to keep it going. If it is the final call for the forum, then there will be a virtual mound, and we shall read poetry, drink mead and honour its passing.
Phyllis

cynewulf

• gesith
Re: Future of the Gegaderung
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 04:52:32 PM »
PLEASE do not close it down.

Kind regards

Norman Yoke

• ceorl
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2022, 09:39:53 PM »
I am only a recent member so please don’t give my opinion too much weight against other longstanding members, but I grew up on forums so I still very much enjoy them above other forms of social media.

I am a Brighton and Hove Albion football fan and our main message board (North Stand Chat) is still thriving and extremely popular. If anything it’s growing. There are hundreds, if not thousands of posts made a day on it. However, 99% of the topics are posted under one general discussion type sub-forum. I wonder if it would benefit Gegaderung to get rid of most of the sub forums and just have all topics posted under General Discussion? It would simplify things, reduce the Moderator’s workload as all posts are in one place and would give the illusion of a more active forum, which in turn may encourage others to contribute.

Just a few thoughts.

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 10:01:57 AM »
That’s a good idea Norman Yoke - it might encourage people to “chat” more like we used to. Ask for advice, express (non-political) opinions, report on events/books/annoyances/humourous happenings. Sharing links is great, but it rarely stimulates debate.

Bill

• ceorl
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 05:16:34 AM »
Please keep it going.  For me on the other side of the world it is a life line.   I am also probably the last member to receive WW each quarter so need gegaderung for news - cheers

peter

• thegn
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 12:20:09 PM »
Keep it going, PLEASE! I have a look every time I log on, in a strange way the Gegaderung seems more personal and less commercially orientated than the likes of Facebook, Twitter etc. etc.

Norman Yoke

• ceorl
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 02:34:09 PM »
Is the forum open to posts from non-Gesithas members?

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 11:11:49 PM »
They can see it (apart from the members only section) but I don’t think they are able to comment on anything.

Louise

• ceorl
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 03:55:18 PM »
I am a fairly new member interested primarily in the Old English language, OE written works and culture.  Greatly enjoyed Peter Graystone's OE correspondence course.  Would welcome anything on the language - chats with like-minded students every often.
It would be a shame to close this forum down.  Thanks for all your hard work. Phyllis.

Norman Yoke

• ceorl
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 08:32:27 PM »
They can see it (apart from the members only section) but I don’t think they are able to comment on anything.
I wonder if that's another avenue members would consider - having two main subforums: a general discussion, where both Gesithas and non-Gesithas can see and post. And a member's only sub-forum, where only Gesithas members can see and post?

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 07:00:01 PM »
That could be a nightmare for Phyllis to police...

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 12:06:47 AM »
I am full of praise for Gegaderung! Whilst I haven't (yet) made any formal study of Old English, I've wanted to make several short translations of bits & pieces and you have given such excellent responses!. Even short sentence translations have thrown up fascinating aspects of grammar etc which were very rewarding to wrestle with. Where else would I get such superb and friendly instruction/advice?
I didn't like to bother folk with all my questions, but perhaps I should open a thread beginning "I was just wondering..." after all!
I have two things I was wondering about recently so I will ask them in another thread. :-)
Thank you all gesiþas!
All the best,
Ælfhere.