Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Anglo-Saxon strap end found near Cambridge has boxing hares engraving  (Read 304 times)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Fromt eh BBC: The 22mm (0.9in) by 15.3mm (0.6in) object was discovered in a field near Cambridge in autumn 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-59680893
Phyllis

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
Re: Anglo-Saxon strap end found near Cambridge has boxing hares engraving
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 02:45:32 PM »
Love the cute little hares!

Bowerthane

• ceorl
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 01:45:08 AM »
Yes, thanks  :) Phyllis.

I notice, of course, that they are hares and not rabbits.

Has anyone else had trouble persuading innocent third parties that rabbits were unknown in Anglo-Saxon England, and appear to have been introduced by the Normans?  Or re-introduced, if indeed they were also introduced by the Romans but died out after they withdrew.

Also, am I the only one to wonder how the Old English reacted to rabbits when the Normans brought them over?  Creatures you were supposed to eat like hares, but lived in holes like.... like  ???  rats?

Oh, and I hope everyone enjoyed their Yuletide break and stayed warm and well.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:14:07 AM by Bowerthane »

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 09:49:37 PM »
Hope you had a good Yule too Bowerthane! As for the Old English reaction to rabbits - I imagine they just ate them  ;D