Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Evidence for pyrography?  (Read 124 times)

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
Evidence for pyrography?
« on: July 14, 2022, 12:11:33 AM »
I was just wondering...is there any evidence for use of pyrography amongst the Anglo Saxons? Obviously the "technology" was there (pointy metal + wood + fire) and I guess the idea would've crossed someone's mind at some stage. But is there any evidence for it? Problem of course is how quickly wood rots away but I suppose it's still possible.
Thank you

Bowerthane

Re: Evidence for pyrography?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 11:51:03 PM »
Well obviously I knew what  :-[  pyrography was all along.  There doesn't seem to be anything actually from our period on the Internet, does there?

I'd be interested too, if anyone knows anything..? 

Wayne Aelfhere

• ceorl
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 03:33:38 AM »
Haha yes, my fault there - I had done lots of burning wood with an iron long before someone said " you mean pyrography?" "If you say so!" I replied. So I reckon the act preceded the word for most people!
Anyway, I certainly haven't found any evidence on line (although I don't have access to all the academic journals...I kinda miss Science Direct!)
I also spoke to a group leader of Regia who seemed to know his stuff who told me that evidence hadn't been recorded. It just seems like such an obvious way of permanently and decoratively marking wood - but of course I will stop short of saying that they *must have* done it! Bad historical joojoo.....but then absence of presence doesn't mean etc etc.!
But perhaps someone has read something somewhere??

peter

• thegn
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 04:57:11 PM »
I don't know about the actual A/S rune readers, but it's a great way to make a set of casting runes if you fancy 'trying your luck'! Etching Rune Sticks is fun too, but as for telling future events I think we'll leave that open to question!