Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: A scientific clue for Brunaburgh?  (Read 640 times)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: A scientific clue for Brunaburgh?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 01:26:24 PM »
it would be great if it combined dating evidence from other finds too! I do _want_ it to be in Yorkshire but am happy to be provided with evidence if it can be found :)
Phyllis

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 10:02:26 AM »
Artefacts which “may have come from the possible location” - on that sort of basis I think I’ll claim my back garden was the site of Brunanburh and cash in on all the publicity and tourism! Even if some of the iron work does derive from Scotland it still wouldn’t be proof - the Vikings were quite happy to raid up there (eg the destruction of Alt Clut). I think it is fashionable at the moment to say Brunanburh was fought on the Wirral and everybody is rushing to find “proof”. At some time in the future I bet someone will find better “proof” under a car park in Doncaster ;) ;D

peter

• thegn
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 03:36:30 PM »
I found this quite interesting, but many of you may have come across it already as it was reviewed in the Independent newspaper.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/-sczsteve/JEPNS_paper.PDF

peter

• thegn
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2022, 03:47:01 PM »
Being as my ancient word has failed to register: nottingham.ac.uk/-sczsteve/JEPNS_paper.PDF