Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: The Witan and choosing the next Monarch  (Read 173 times)

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
The Witan and choosing the next Monarch
« on: June 14, 2022, 07:36:54 PM »

Hello there,

I am feeling very guilty indeed because Phyllis, in her article in the Withowinde which has just arrived, has reminded me that I have not been on the Gegaderung for  --  oh, so many YEARS!  Terrible.

And as happens, I do have something A-S to talk about.  I am with a group of about 70 where we circulate political information and this has kept me busy for the past decade or so.  But over the past few days there has been discussion about who will follow Queen Elizabeth on the throne.  Prince Charles is the obvious claimant, but some of the group would prefer us to go direct to Prince William.   I must admit that I don't like Charles, finding him too political and, basically, irritating and I'm not too sure about William.   

So  --  I put up the suggestion that perhaps we should resurrect the Witan, explaining just what it was and that its main job was to decide who would be the next suitable
King, not necessarily the eldest son of the previous King nor even someone from the immediate Royal Family.   This started quite a discussion, with some of the group saying that they wanted Charles or William, others saying that we didn't need a Constitutional Monarch or any kind of Head of State above the Prime Minister of the day, and yet others saying that we needed a Head of State of some kind above the politicians. However, several said that a new Witan would be a great idea.

What do you all think?

I have also sent the idea to the Daily Express and the Daily Mail and wonder if any of you would like to do the same.

Wessex Woman

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
Re: The Witan and choosing the next Monarch
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 10:07:22 AM »
Hmmm, that’s bordering on current politics, which we’re not supposed to be commenting on here...but you could alter perspectives a bit and compare the powers of the Witan with today’s Parliament (which, in 1936, did alter the line of succession).

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 12:42:35 PM »
OK  --  so, would we say that the Witan choosing the next Monarch is a better idea than primogeniture?

What does everyone think?
Wessex Woman

peter

• thegn
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 05:35:01 PM »
Please, let's not go there. I've read some of your thoughts and words before, Jayson, and that is why we should keep politics out of the Gegaderung. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 05:37:19 PM by peter »