Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Do we have descendents in Ukraine?  (Read 143 times)

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
Do we have descendents in Ukraine?
« on: June 27, 2022, 05:22:33 PM »
In his latest Gerefan Leaf, Geoffrey writes that 'While Ukraine may seem far away, we Anglo-Saxonists have a strong connection with that part of Europe' and quotes from 'The Anglo-Saxons: The Verdict of History' by Paul Hill that, in escaping from the brutalities of the Normans, they even got as far as The Crimea, the southern peninsula of Ukraine.  Something else I didn't know before, so I've just bought the book to read more.

We certainly got around, didn't we?
Wessex Woman

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
Re: Do we have descendents in Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 08:06:56 PM »
We certainly did - before and after 1066! And we think we live in an age of travel!

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: Do we have descendents in Ukraine?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 02:26:10 PM »
Eleanor Parker covers the Crimean settlement as well in her new book on teh post COnwuest generation. It's a fascinating story!

"Conquered: the last children of Anglo-Saxon England"

She did a talk at the York Festival of Ideas recently wich I hope will be on their YouTube channnel shortly.
Phyllis