Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Two Tolkien Riddles  (Read 11242 times)

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Two Tolkien Riddles
« on: November 23, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »
I came across these today and thought that perhaps other people too might not have seen these two OE riddles written by Tolkien.  Enjoy!

http://faculty.jbu.edu/jhimes/tolkienriddles.html
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
Re: Two Tolkien Riddles
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
---thanks for this.   I go to a U3A group on Tolkien whose leader took A-S at university many years ago, so I've passed them on.   And, yes, I have told him about the English Companions but I think he has so much to do already (like all us retired lot) that at the moment he has no more time available.
Wessex Woman

peter horn

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
---thanks for this.   I go to a U3A group on Tolkien whose leader took A-S at university many years ago, so I've passed them on.   And, yes, I have told him about the English Companions but I think he has so much to do already (like all us retired lot) that at the moment he has no more time available.

tell him he doesnt have to do anything, just join :)
Peter

Jayson

• Hlaford
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:48:42 PM »
---I'll tell him, Peter!   Meanwhile, I got the following reply from Brian Buckle, the Leader of the Group:

Dear Sonya

Many thanks for this.  I'm baffled at present; it's lucky I haven't got a hungry Gollum breathing down my neck.  I'll let the riddles rest in the back of my mind - something may emerge. With you perrmission i'll print out copies for the Group; something to keep their minds churning over Christmas.

Wessex Woman

Jayson

• Hlaford
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:19:34 PM »
---I went to the December session on Tolkien and the leader, Brian, handed out copies of the riddle to everyone and it evoked great interest.   I think the members will be working hard at the riddles over Christmas and yhou never know, we might get some more members.
Wessex Woman

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 03:46:05 PM »
Thanks Sonya.  It's good to know that Tolkien's riddles are being appreciated - they are excellent bits of work.  It seems an awful shame that they are not published somewhere - perhaps they have been by now?

At least they are clearer and much easier to solve than those in the Exeter Book!

leofwin

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »

Well, is the first a water fountain, a sink or a bath?
Is the second a red and white spotted mushroom?

I have a feeling I might as well be asking if the first is a bicycle and the second a water buffalo...

..but perhaps it will encourage some other folks to have a stab, too.

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »

Well, is the first a water fountain, a sink or a bath?
Is the second a red and white spotted mushroom?

Not even close.  Although perhaps the red and white spotted mushroom would help ;D.

For the first riddle, try reading "wæter/water" as "liquid" and "hrægl" as "cloth" or "fabric" rather than "garment".
For the second riddle, the name "Hunecan" is significant.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 12:07:24 AM by Linden »

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 01:18:03 PM »
For the first riddle, try reading "wæter/water" as "liquid" and "hrægl" as "cloth" or "fabric" rather than "garment".
For the second riddle, the name "Hunecan" is significant.

Well, one gesiþ at the last East Seaxe meeting solved the second riddle with a little more help and then said words to the effect that it is obvious in retrospect.  The extra bit of help provided was the advice to separate into two 'halves' the name "Hunecan".

As for the first riddle, it might help to know that Tolkien wrote another riddle with the same solution in Modern English.  The clues are not that similar but do have some things in common.

Horsa

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »
I thought I'd replied to this.

I think the first one is an egg.

Walls = shell, silk = that skin thing, water = albumen, apple = yolk, thieves = crows / seagulls / oviraptors.

Graegwulf

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »
Steeleye Span sang a simplified version of the first one on the "Rocket Cottage" album.  That's showing my age!

Paul

Horsa

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:13:01 AM »
Steeleye Span sang a simplified version of the first one on the "Rocket Cottage" album.  That's showing my age!

Paul

So I was right then, fantastic!

On to the second one.