Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Horny Riddle  (Read 4524 times)

Bowerthane

Horny Riddle
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »

Horn of Plenty
    Ġenyhthorn

Oh Horn of Plenty
    Éa Ġenyhthorn
    One Horn of Plenty for us all!
    Án Ġenyhthorn for ús ealle!
    And when you raise the cry
    And þá hebbaþ þú þá clipunge
    The brave shall heed the call
    Ðá rófan willen þæt ġebann hédan
    And we shall never falter.
    And nǽfre tealtaþ wé.

Oh Horn of Plenty.
     Lá Ġenyhthorn
     And when we raise the cry
     And þá hefaþ wé þá clipunge
     And we shall never fall...
     And wé willaþ nǽfre feallan

Oh Horn of Plenty.
     Lá Ġenyhthor
     And when we raise the cry
     And þá hefaþ wé þá clipunge
     And we shall never falter.
     And wé willaþ nǽfre spyrnan

Oh, Capitol
     Éa, Héaburg
     Your glorious diamond shine
     Ðín mære scín and æþelstáne
     A tribute to
     Gafol þǽm
     The darkest days behind
     Deorcost daġum behindan

Æþelstán is doing duty here for ‘diamond’ as the Old English seem to have no specific word.  Correct me who can!

Grateful I shall be for the thoughts of any ġesíþas better at Old English than I, mentioning nobody called David, about whether And nǽfre tealtaþ wé or And wé willaþ nǽfre spyrnan is a better stab at “And we shall never falter”.  Not simply because I’m not that confident about the “falter” ( tealtan and spyrnan are about the best that I can do), but how picky I should be about sticking to the wording of the original, in this instance because willan and scallan never wholly kicked the dust of volition and compulsion off their heels, no matter how commonly used like today’s auxiliaries.  Respecting the wordsmith’s choice of word is one thing, but also account has to be taken of the context and intentions, which makes me favour And nǽfre tealtaþ wé for all that the literalist in me can’t let go of And wé willaþ nǽfre spyrnan.

Yet I’ve also been told I overthink these things and that I niggle.  By all means any fresh pairs of eyes out there... speak!

Less linguistically sophisticated ġesíþas than wot I am may like to guess whereabouts these verses come from in the original Hunger Games film. They’re not in the novel.  Win Butler and Régine Chassagne of Arcade Fire wrote the lyric and a Mark One version.  Yet according to a ‘making of’ featurette on my DVD, the British composer James Newton Howard added the orchestral score and choral arrangement and recorded a Mark Two version in London, at Air Studios in 2011, performed by British musicians and choristers.

Clue: maiden heat.

( Nearly forgot I’d done this translation!  Rediscovered it last night looking for Something Completely Different...) 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The moral right of the author to identify Jeremy Corbyn speaking on the sexual awakening of French convent-school girls, because he was still boring, has been asserted.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:05:06 PM by Bowerthane »

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Horny Riddle
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:16:05 PM »

That looks fine to me, but being called David, I feel that I have to niggle.

I do not like using sculan or willan to show the future. I have not heard it called scallan.

I think that you have the “f” and “bb” alternate the wrong way round in hebban.
Shouldn’t it be þū hef(e)st, not þū hebbaþ, and it shouldn’t it be wē hebbaþ not wē hefaþ.

Finally I think that deorcost daġum should be deorcostum dagum.

Bowerthane

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
Thanks David.  I will try to get back to this thread, only I struggle to give your carols the attention they deserve.

Meanwhile....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5lJ-6tWsUY

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 02:14:44 PM »
As always, I bow to David's knowledge but feel I should at least show willing to poke my nose in...

Verse 3 little typo I think?
Oh Horn of Plenty.
     Lá Ġenyhthor

I'm not nearly competent to comment on hebbaþ /hefaþ but I can voice a preference for "And nǽfre tealtaþ wé" in terms of sound and reading aloud. If I was performing it I would rather use that...not sure if that helps.

Wes hal
Phyllis
Phyllis