Gegaderung > Anglo-Saxon Discussion

Anglo Saxon Costume - From the ground up.

(1/3) > >>

Wulfric:
Dear All,

I am starting this thread in an effort to create a costume for living history which is as accurate as can be assembled. To do this I wil need peoples ideas and opinions whether they are based on hard academic research or or other valuable expierience. I invite all constructive comments and suggestions as any relevant comment could open discussion which proves beneficial.

My primary goal is to produce a costume for a Saxon thegn (that is of southern England) of the 10th Century. As this is one of the most commonly reenacted periods one might assume that this should be easy however I don't want a costume that is the result of generally accepted stereotypes. I want a costume that when asked about any part of it I can reference the evidence that allowed it to be included. Though if these turn out to be the same everyones efforts will not have been wasted as at least I hope everyone involved will benefit for the knowledge shared.

While I have my own primary goal I also invite anyone who cares to to do the same for any other Anglo-Saxon costume concept no matter what social standing, era or gender. I only ask that to avoid confusion any posts are clearly labelled with the costume concept they are relevant to.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Wulfric:
Saxon Thegn 10th Century.

My costume concept so far is:
•Leather ankle boots in the turn shoe style with bone toggles.
•Naalbinding socks.
•Woollen hose, from ankle to upper leg single leg style. (dark charcoal)
•Woolen winningas. In the puttee style with herringbone weave.
•Woollen braes. These currently stop just below the knee where they are well inside the hose and about the same level as the top of the winningas. (currently, black, maroon and grey)
•Linen under tunic with close fitting coughs and keyhole neck. It also has slits up the sides of the legs which allow freedom of movement. (white)
•Woolen over tunic same pattern as under tunic. (madder red).
•Leather belt, thin, buckling toward left hip with dangling belt end.
•Sheathed seax slung from belt across front of body.
•Sword in scabbard hanging from belt left of body.
•Cloak over all, likely pattern needed.

Advice on saxon style jewellery and clothing decorations would be very much appreciated.

My clothes so far are entirely made of wool or linen and I would very much like for them to all be of realistic colours for the dyeing processes at the time.

My first questions are;
•Are braes and single leg hose accurate for this period or are they a later style?
•Were winningas always in the puttee style or could they be a rectangular piece of cloth wrapped round and tied in place?
•Ought the slit of the keyhole be laced up?

Please ask any questions of the kit. Someone else may have to answer them as I don’t have many answers and that is why I’m asking for help. :)

Wulfric.

Wulfric:
Come on folks no need to be shy, somebody must know something about AS costume, maybe a bone to pick over stereotypical representations, some glaring mistake in the above description... anything?

Well a point that's come to my attention is the appearance of knee length items that seem to occur on some manuscripts (any pictures of these would be greatly appreciated).

Brief discussion last night came up with the idea of them being gaiter type pieces of cloth wrapped round and bound with garters to the lower leg, or.... knee length stockings, possibly footed. Both of these options seem plausable but both raise the question; were any braes or other clothes worn on the upper leg?

peter horn:
Wulfric

Have you seen "Dress in AS England" by Owen-Crocker
and "Cloth & Clothing in early AS England" by Penelope Walton Rogers"?
These are the books that the LHG members read
Peter

--- Quote from: Wulfric on August 11, 2010, 03:05:27 PM ---Come on folks no need to be shy, somebody must know something about AS costume, maybe a bone to pick over stereotypical representations, some glaring mistake in the above description... anything?

Well a point that's come to my attention is the appearance of knee length items that seem to occur on some manuscripts (any pictures of these would be greatly appreciated).

Brief discussion last night came up with the idea of them being gaiter type pieces of cloth wrapped round and bound with garters to the lower leg, or.... knee length stockings, possibly footed. Both of these options seem plausable but both raise the question; were any braes or other clothes worn on the upper leg?

--- End quote ---

Wulfric:
Many thanks I shall definitely look into those.

In the mean time I still welcome people's opinions...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version