Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Rare coinage  (Read 1309 times)

Blackdragon

• thegn
Rare coinage
« on: October 05, 2021, 05:13:00 PM »
Anyone want to equip this enthusiastic Anglo Saxon re-enactor with some spare change please?
Pensioner's secret stash of rare Anglo Saxon coins sells for £185,000 (msn.com)

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Rare coinage
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2021, 09:54:08 PM »
John Cross had a fantastic collection of Anglo-Saxon coins. In particular he had a wonderful King Ælfred penny that appeared in our 2018 calendar and I believe is somewhere on our site. Maybe Phyllis can tell us where.
John also wrote about several of his coins in horsmūð over the years.

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 10:02:42 AM »
John also wrote "A short history of the coinage of Anglo-Saxon England 600 -1066 AD" in our handbook, which has several images of his coins. I also have a longer version of that article, with more coins, which Jenny might like to put in wiðowinde if there is the interest.

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2021, 03:29:25 PM »
John Cross had a fantastic collection of Anglo-Saxon coins. In particular he had a wonderful King Ælfred penny that appeared in our 2018 calendar and I believe is somewhere on our site. Maybe Phyllis can tell us where.
John also wrote about several of his coins in horsmūð over the years.

The coins page is one of the pages I am trying to get properly updated so not all the content is available at the moment - I do still have all the images though and will try to get it done at some point! Unless anyone wants to volunteer to write it up? I can send the images so you know what you are working with!

Phyllis

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »
John also wrote "A short history of the coinage of Anglo-Saxon England 600 -1066 AD" in our handbook, which has several images of his coins. I also have a longer version of that article, with more coins, which Jenny might like to put in wiðowinde if there is the interest.

actually that would be ideal for the website if you could send it to me!
Phyllis

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2021, 04:04:32 PM »
Yes I think it would be good for the magazine too, David. How long is it?

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »
The extended version is about two or three times as long as the published one. John never worked out how to put text, photographs and text boxes together. I cleaned them up but only have my version of the published one. It would take time to do the same for the extended version but I will try to do it for both the magazine and the website.

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 08:35:30 PM »
It will need editing for the website anyway to let me add pictures so I am happy to do that if it helps :)
Phyllis

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 08:12:51 AM »
I have now put together John's extended article.

Incidentally, it is interesting that none of us noticed that the photograph in the article was of David Mosley, not John Nicholas Cross.