Gegaderung > Anglo-Saxon Discussion

Anglo Saxon musical instruments

<< < (9/9)

Eanflaed:
The next two issues of Withowinde will be right up your street Russ, methinks!  ;)  Don’t want to give too much away....!

peter horn:

--- Quote from: RussJenkins on February 02, 2020, 04:39:22 PM ---I can't find the article mentioned above about AS harps. Can someone point me at it ?
I made myself a 7 string harp a couple of years ago, from scrap wood, ukulele strings and zither tuning pins. It's playable and I really enjoy it but it doesn't look authentic in any way.
It's time now to make another 6 strings and nicer wood and correcting some of the mistakes I made in the first one.
I'm most worried about making the tuning pegs as I don't think I should use zither pins again. Do I have to make my own wooden pegs in conical bores ? Sounds difficult.
I'm not a luthier, I'm a putter-up of wonky shelves. This will be challenging for me.

--- End quote ---
Hi
The sound of the Sutton Hoo Harp -article
For main website click on crown at top of this page
then click on search button
regards
Peter H

RussJenkins:
Thanks Peter, I found it.

Really interesting, my lyre isn't tuned pentatonic, it's tuned  F G A B C D E , but then it is 7 strings which I believe is not
very authentic.

peter horn:

--- Quote from: RussJenkins on February 07, 2020, 07:33:01 PM ---Thanks Peter, I found it.

Really interesting, my lyre isn't tuned pentatonic, it's tuned  F G A B C D E , but then it is 7 strings which I believe is not
very authentic.

--- End quote ---

iy seems very likely, though of course it cannot be proved, that the AS Lyre was tuned to
a pentatonic scale. early english folk songs are based on a pentatonic scale and these take us back
to the late AS period.
Peter H

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version