Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Free talk by Dr Sue Brunning of the British Museum  (Read 587 times)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Free talk by Dr Sue Brunning of the British Museum
« on: April 30, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
Fenland Archaeology has let us know about an upcoming talk of interest.

Thursday 27th May: 'Respect your Elders: Old Swords in Early Medieval England', by Dr Sue Brunning of the British Museum .
In Anglo-Saxon England, old swords were highly prized treasures coveted by warriors, warlords and kings. They were placed in burials, depicted in art and lauded in literature. This talk explores the evidence for the phenomenon and seeks to understand why older was better when it came to one’s sword. Dr. Brunning is Curator of European Early Medieval & Sutton Hoo Collections from the Department of Britain, Europe and Prehistory at The British Museum.

The lectures are all at 7pm, free of charge, available via Teams and bookable on Eventbrite.  If you would like to book a place, please use this booking link : https://bit.ly/3e0FNaw
Phyllis

leofwin

• ceorl
Re: Free talk by Dr Sue Brunning of the British Museum
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 10:59:07 AM »
Thanks for the heads up

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: Free talk by Dr Sue Brunning of the British Museum
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 12:13:24 PM »
sadly I might not get to it as I am technically on a course at the same time - will have to choose on the night!
Phyllis