Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Hunting in Anglo-Saxon England  (Read 30218 times)

cenwulf

Re: Hunting in Anglo-Saxon England
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »
[I would like to ask what sources you have uses for your information on time, because I know it is a lot early, but the beauty of Neolithic craftmanship shows that farmera had a lot of spare time. Then again that was 4000 years prior to the period we are talking about. I am not a farmer and no next to nothing about farming but I wanted to know wether the timing was in fact true.

Well, it's obviously all theory, but I just finished a Coursera course "A Brief History of Humankind" by Dr Yuval Noah Harari where he makes a good case for this. He has an accompanying book "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" which details his arguments. You can also check out his website and his YouTube video channel, especially Lesson 3 part 2 from 22 minutes.

Æðelstān

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 06:05:25 PM »
Streona,
I was just found this article abou Northern European peoples being reluctant to adopt farming http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3031733/Neolithic-Northern-Europeans-reluctant-farmers-Agriculture-spread-south-colder-climes-clung-hunter-gatherer-lifestyles.html
I was also wondering if anyone knew if there was a change in hunting in AS society?

peter

• gesith
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »
  As far as I can recall Mithen seemed to think that the northern farmers and hunter/gatherers lived side by side, (one complementing the other?) although farming did take longer to reach the north for obvious reasons. I seem to recall a glitch created by the 'Younger Dryas' which was another mini-ice age around 8000BC, followed by another smaller one about 6000BC this would have caused far more problems in the north, although I think it caused some problems in the Middle -East and Sub-Saharan Africa as well. I researched a bit of this stuff for some agricultural studies I did with a local archaeology group, but it's a bit of a distant memory now. It seems I'll have to read all the books again....damn! One thing I clearly remember is a suspected link between warfare and the beginnings of farming, so it's always been about power and land.....ho-hum!  (Streona is defunct I'm back with the birth-name).

Æðelstān

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 04:58:22 PM »
I recently heard about designated 'deer parks' which were closed off areas owned by people for hunting in and I think (though I may be wrong) that you could pay for access. I also heard that in, I think, Athelstan's law codes it states that if a man were to poach a deer then they would have to give the hind part of the animal to the owner and nothing more.