Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Short and sweet - ideas for "icebreakers"  (Read 9823 times)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: Short and sweet - ideas for "icebreakers"
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »
Yes Jayson, I heard that too.

My next project is to look at translating some excerpts from speeches, and possibly song lyrics, as examples for our events. People really like the "One small step for man, one "gigantic" leap for mankind" sheet :)
Phyllis

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
Yes that's a good one to use. I used it in my first ever talk and asked the audience to guess the non AS word - it was correctly guessed first time! :)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »
I think I liked the visitor who told me we had made her aware that she was descended from Woden, given that she could apparently trace her family tree back to Alfred the Great :)
She was so happy!
Phyllis

Bowerthane

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 09:05:37 PM »
For future reference, be it known that the patron saint of Germany is an Englishman: St Boniface.

Also that Sir Winston Churchill considered King Alfred the Great to be the greatest Englishman of all time.  It was put to Churchill after the War that he must be the greatest Englishmen of all time, but he said: “No, the greatest Englishman that ever lived was King Alfred.”

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2021, 04:05:46 PM »
Oh yes, Boniface is an interesting item - although quite contentious! A useful one to keep on stand by I think  - if we EVER manage to have another event....
Phyllis

Bowerthane

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 06:15:33 PM »
Well... one can but ::)  hope!

The question upon the topside of the card should be: Which Englishman is the patron saint of Germany?

Or even: Which granddaughter of Woden is also a qualified heavy goods vehicle mechanic?

( Or if you like: Which granddaugher of Woden taught the Duke of Windsor taxidermy from the animal’s point of view?  At least, that’s the bit from The Crown I hope was
true to life.  Or: Which granddaughter of Woden knew exactly where Jimmy Saville should stick his cigars, and warned us, all along?)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSQwI3rDETk

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The moral right of the author to identify the present Queen as living proof that there is still one proper adult left in the country has been asserted.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 06:18:28 PM by Bowerthane »

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 07:44:53 AM »

Or even: Which granddaughter of Woden

Steady on fella, I know she's not in the first flush of youth but "granddaughter" seems a bit harsh!  :o

I love your suggestions though! Any more - anyone?
Phyllis

Bowerthane

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2021, 10:06:18 AM »
’Ere, how’s this for downright eerie? I happen to be reading W. J. R. Gardner’s Decoding History: The Battle of the Atlantic and Ultra too and, it says here, “it is now fairly common to refer to the output itself by the name of Ultra... However, it is important to note that there were other terms in use such as ‘Z’, ‘Special Intelligence (SI)’ and ‘Boniface’.”

Why does this remind me of an old Dave Allen sketch where God tosses a coin to settle which combattant’s prayers to answer?  Has St Boniface had that problem?

( Or did somebody in the Bletchley Park/ MI6/ IGS loop... know? As if St Boniface were the longest-run mole or Deepest Throat of all time.  To whom the Germans transmitted their prayers innocently thinking it was all in Godes privitie, never suspecting that he was passing the sigint ‘product’ on to the Old Country..?)

( Any more Anglo-Saxon connections to Bletchley Park, we may wonder? The etymology seems to be “Bleccas LĒAH” if the earliest surviving recorded form, Blechelai in AD 1106-9 is anything to go by, and it’s bang on Watling Street and therefore the Treaty Line King Alfred negotiated with King Guthrum at Wedmore.  There’s certainly an Old English church of some heft surviving at Wing, about ten miles south of it: All Saints with an “Aisled nave; and apsidal chancel, with crypt beneath”.  Oh, and, as a teenage jobseeker in the 1980s, a certain budding Anglo-Saxonist slept rough under a hedge near a roundabout outside Milton Keynes about five miles to the north.  So I may have passed through Bletchley, a former Wrennery or two and even Shenley where Alan Turing was billeted in the pub thumbing my way into Oxford, before or after a Chemistry undergraduate picked me up in his slick, red sports car, who liberated me from one of life’s great mysteries by explaining how valency worked on the way in.)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:08:53 AM by Bowerthane »

Locian

• ceorl
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 10:47:13 PM »
Just a bit off topic; but has anyone else seen/heard this?  Or am I behind again? https://youtu.be/JcKqhDFhNHI
Þurh þone wudu Locian

Locian

• ceorl
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:45 PM »
I'll try again, as it was impossible to read that font size.

Perhaps off topic, but has anyone else seen/heard this?  https://youtu.be/JcKqhDFhNHI
Þurh þone wudu Locian

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 09:46:32 AM »
It's true I have seen that video before! It's a great idea, although I'm not sure about some of the translation...but fun nevertheless :)

Phyllis

Bowerthane

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 02:40:13 PM »
Thanks Locian.

Love that word  ::)  [size=78%]'bardcore'.[/size]

Locian

• ceorl
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2021, 09:46:37 PM »
Technology, eh?
I still think the invention of the Printing Press was a bad move.
Þurh þone wudu Locian

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 07:37:49 AM »
I draw the line at fire
Phyllis

Bill

• ceorl
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2021, 03:41:52 AM »
Phyllis - I saw mention of sheets with 'ice breakers' - can you advise please where I might get these from - cheers my wahine