Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Ding Dong Merrily on High  (Read 5164 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Ding Dong Merrily on High
« on: December 24, 2018, 04:40:23 PM »
I have just been listening to some carols. In Ding Dong Merrily on High I suddenly heard a couple of Old English participles in

"Let steeple bells be swungen"

followed by
"By priest and people sungen"

They were pronounced as in Modern English but you can't have everything.

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
Re: Ding Dong Merrily on High
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 04:53:31 PM »
I always wondered about those words, David (I love carols) - thank you for explaining where they came from! I came across another”funny” word yesterday: do you know what a “thew” is?

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 08:49:54 AM »
You really want thew in context.

If you came across ϸēw in Old English it was an alternative version of the word ϸēow and so meant slave or servant.

In Modern English it appears that the word thew means muscle. It comes from the Old English word ϸēaw, meaning custom/habit/conduct (in the plural virtues/good manners/morals) In Middle English the spelling changed to ϸew/thew and then later in Middle English the meaning became more physical, muscle.

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 11:07:37 PM »
Wow thanks for that David. I knew you’d know! In the context I read it the custom/habit/conduct explanation makes perfect sense.