Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Compound words  (Read 3481 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Compound words
« on: May 15, 2019, 08:51:10 PM »
Dealing with a compound word where the first part is a noun I was told that in early times the first llword  would have been in the nominative, as in folcġemōt, but later the more logical genitive was used, as in witenaġemōt.

I actually wondered whether the earlier cases might be the stem rather than the nominative. The trouble is that nominative is often the same as the stem. I decided to try sunne and mōna which I thought might have several compounds. Sunne has the variants sunna and sunnu but these still differed from the stem. These are the results from Clark Hall
Genitive
Sunnanǣfen, sunnandæġ, sunnanlēoma, sunnanmergen, sunnanniht, sunnanscīma, sunnansetlgong, sunnanūhta, mōnanǣfen, mōnandæġ, mōnanniht
Nominative
Sunnadæġ, sunnebēam, sunnelēoma
Stem
Sunbēam, sunbeorht, sunbyrne, sundēaw, sunganges, sunġīhte, sunstede, sunwlitiġ, mōndæġ, mōnsēoc, mōn(e)liċ
It looked as thoughthe 3 nominative cases were variants of either a genitive or stem case.

The other thing I noticed was that the sunn stem became sun.