Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Ing in Old English  (Read 2040 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Ing in Old English
« on: June 11, 2020, 10:06:06 AM »
How do you pronounce “ng”? I usually pronounce it as ŋ, except when the next letter is a vowel, when I usually pronounce it as ŋg. There are special occasions when I pronounce it as ng and, to my embarrassment, even occasions when I pronounce it as n.
Consider the phrase “singing about an ingrowing toenail”.
I usually pronounce it as “siŋgiŋg about an ingrowiŋ toenail”
I always pronoun the “ingrow...” as “ingrow...” but the other “ngs” I can pronounce as “ŋ” or “ŋg”. I sometimes even pronounce the “…owing” as “...owin”.

What about Old English? I am told that “ng” should always be pronounced as “ŋg” rather than “ŋ”. As runes have the letter ing for “ŋ”, I wondered whether cyning would be spelt as cyniŋ or cyniŋg in runes. It appears that it is cyniŋ. However does the rune ing stand for “ŋ” or “ŋg”?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 10:09:16 AM by David »

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: Ing in Old English
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »
I do hope someone can help as I am also uncertain.

I also need to look up the sounds David describes as I have never learned them! However, for once the ingrowing toenail was very useful :)
Phyllis