Gegaderung > Old English Language

Pronunciation

<< < (2/3) > >>

peter horn:
prob one who lives by a prominent gate such as a gate of a walled town.
There was a Lawrence Yate of Nether Darwen, Cheshire in 1606

Horsa:
That's an interesting question. I've always pronounced the 'g' like a Mod. Eng. 'y' - /j/, for both géat (Beowulf's tribe) and geat (a gate). The general rule for West Saxon being that before a front vowel i e y it's pronounced /j/ and before a back vowel u o a it's pronounced /g/, and the convention for pronouncing the diphthong ea is /æə/ or /æɑ/. But where does æ slot into this?

I pronounce gǽst and gǽþ with a /g/ (influenced by the other forms in the paradigm, gá and gáþ)  but gǽc with a /j/ (possibly influenced by Swedish?) but gæderian with a /g/ (influenced by Mod. Eng.)

There is the middle English spelling of gate, 'yate',

none of the samples here,

http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/engl401/lessons/pronunc1.htm

are with an æ or ǽ.

Sweet also says nothing either way about g before æ.

Graegwulf:
I assume it depends on when we're talking about.  The palatisation of "g" to a "y" sound is a derived feature; older Germanic languages had "g" (and I gather there is evidence that in England, Northern Anglian dialects never completed the change).  Beowulf originates in pre-English settlement times, so the contempory people probably said "Gates".  The author of the poem we know was writing centuries later, so he almost certainly said "Yates".

peter horn:
yes there is this tendency to require a 'received Old English'
I would pronounce geat with y, as I would gesithas.

Deorca:
I agree with Peter, soft 'g', like 'yeah-at'. And definitely not "geets" as in the film Beowulf and Grendel.

Interesting to note that the area in Sweden that roughly covers the old Geatish kingdom are know as east- and west-Götaland where the 'g' is also soft, like RP "yurta-land" (i.e. with no rhotic 'r')

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version