Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: A14 roadworks - mixed archaeology finds  (Read 5541 times)

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
A14 roadworks - mixed archaeology finds
« on: March 27, 2018, 04:06:33 PM »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:17:42 PM by Linden »
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann

Blackdragon

• thegn
Re: A14 roadworks - mixed archaeology finds
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 05:33:49 PM »

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:55:01 PM »
Blackdragon and Eanflaed - I have merged your topics into the first one (mine) to be posted on this news item as it is too confusing to have three separate topics all dealing with the same bit of news.  If you want me to change the topic heading then please say what you would like it to be called.
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

Bowerthane

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:12 PM »

According to my trusty old The Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names by Eilert Ekwall ( 1960) the Houghton in then Huntingdonshire is a Hōh-tūn, ‘tūn on a spur of hill’.  So I’m guessing that’s how that “beacon on a hill that still overlooks the whole region” came into it.

Not, alas hearg-tūn which would mean ‘tūn associated with a Heathen shrine’ but hey you can’t have everything...

I wonder.  Do we know if any security measures are being taken?  The archaeologists may know some special reason why nothing like the Staffordshire Hoard is likely, in this instance, but nighthawkers and treasure hunters might not know or believe it.  Hate to think they could come in to work one morning to find some ruddy great hole(s) dug, destroying valuable information.

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
Good point, Bowerthane. I guess it must be impossible to police those sorts of sites. They only seem to be watched when something really big has been found...