Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Sum þing oþþe nan þing?  (Read 6974 times)

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Sum þing oþþe nan þing?
« on: November 09, 2010, 02:03:28 AM »
A possible 'thing' location in Sherwood Forest. Given the alternative 'Hanger Hill' name of/in the locality - quite likely I would think. 

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/A-bumper-chance-to-explain.6616462.jp
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

Iohannes

• gesith
Re: Sum þing oþþe nan þing?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:29:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing, Linden. Great article.

I found the website of the Friends of Thynghowe: http://www.thynghowe.org.uk/FoT.html

Iohannes

• gesith
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 10:21:56 AM »
I think it's amazing how much interest the finding of a stone can be to the British public while the Italians let their treasures - in this case, the 'House of the Gladiators' of Pompeii - collapse.  >:(

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
I think it's amazing how much interest the finding of a stone can be ...................................

I thought that I had found something interesting happening about stones and meeting places in Italy when I found this link ages ago - but nothing seems to be happening.

http://judgementstones.wordpress.com/01/

Iohannes

• gesith
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:27:52 AM »
Dear Linden,

The Italians couldn't care less about their Roman culture, heritage and arhaeological treasures; how could they care about the remnants of other cultures (Germanic, Celtic etc) on their territory?

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:56:56 AM »
.........The Italians couldn't care less about their Roman culture, heritage and arhaeological treasures; how could they care about the remnants of other cultures (Germanic, Celtic etc) on their territory?

Hi Iohannes

Listening to 'Radio 4' yesterday, I gathered that only St Peter's in Rome and one other site had any funding etc. for preservation/maintenance in spite of the number of tourists that visit all the historical sites in Italy.  It's such a shame.

Bowerthane

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Isn't it nice to find something linked to Sherwood Forest less cheesy than Robin-Hood-and-shop?

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 02:19:18 PM »