Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Need some help with local history  (Read 4826 times)

ubique

Need some help with local history
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »
Hey folks just wandering if anyone can help me with abit of local history im hitting a brick wall with

Now my home town is called Tewkesbury and we are taught in school as children that the town is named after the saxon hermit named Theoc who started the settlement in the 7th century and it was known as Theocsbury.

Now I cant find any information of when the name changed or why it even changed at all as many places retained AS names even after the conquest and even after the influences of middle and modern English?.

One thing that a freind mentioned  was the Tew in Tewkesbury when spoken sounds like Tiw who may or may not have been the tribal god of the Hwicce.I was unsure on this point to begin with as us locals pronounce Tewkesbury "Tchucksbury" while as people from elswhere seem to pronounce it "Tiwksbury".It seems unlikely to me that Tiw would be in the first place and less so as time went on as the settlement became more centred on the church and as time went on around the Abbey.

Any thaughts folks

Iohannes

• gesith
Re: Need some help with local history
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 11:48:37 PM »
Hi Ubique!

I haven't made any research about the etymology of Tewkesbury - so I may be wrong - but I've got the feeling that this name isn't related to the god Tiw. I think it's simply the OE name (probably something like Þeoccesburg) gone through the evolution from the origins to ModE. Any irregularities are normal, since proper and place name seem to have gone through different evolutionary lines than ordinary words.

The -bury instead of -burgh/-borough is due to the frequent use of some of such place names, e g Tewkesbury, Canterbury, Shrewsbury etc, in the dative in expressions of place:

Þeoccesburg, Cantwaraburg, Scrobbesburg: on Þeoccesburig, Cantwaraburig, Scrobbesburig etc.

All the best

Iohannes

• gesith
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »
ERRATA CORRIGE!!!

Sorry, I misspelt the dative forms: the -u- in -burg is palatalazed into -y-= -byrig, which is the source of the modern '-bury':

Þeoccesburg, Cantwaraburg, Scrobbesburg: on Þeoccesbyrig, Cantwarabyrig, Scrobbesbyrig etc.

Inattentive  :(, as usual  ;)!

ubique

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 07:48:30 PM »
Thanks mate :D