Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Saxon coins  (Read 6794 times)

lawrence

Saxon coins
« on: December 13, 2010, 07:15:38 PM »
A friend of mine would like to buy an original saxon coin (without breaking his bank)

Could anyone suggest a possible source please?

Cheers,

Lawrence

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Re: Saxon coins
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
A friend of mine would like to buy an original saxon coin (without breaking his bank)
Could anyone suggest a possible source please?...............

Timeline Originals are holding an auction on the 16th.  Most of the coins are very expensive but there are a couple that might not break the bank. At least it will give an idea of what's on offer.

http://www.timelineauctions.com/search/
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

John Nicholas Cross

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 11:22:16 PM »
I would keep looking on eBay, if you have some idea of what you are doing or have somebody to consult, they're available on one of the coin forum sites on the Net, is a good way, as coins tend to be cheaper than in the high profile auctions.  A decent but faily plain Northumbrian base metal sceat or styca, in nice condition can be had for £30 to £60, or a nice silver penny of Aethelred II, Cnut or Eadweard the Confessor, could be bought for around £200+, less for a poorer example.  Otherwise try one of the reliable dealers who will guarantee their coins as genuine :-----  Baldwins, Spinks, Mark Rasmussen, Andy Gillis, Silbury coins, Classical Numismatic Group, Mike Vosper, Anglo Saxon Coins, Lloyd Bennett, Studio Coins , Time-Lines etc.etc.  Enough there I think!?

Brian Murrell

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »
UK Detector Finds Database, Saxon and Viking, scroll down select category and click on.

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=10

Brian

Brian Murrell

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:28:03 PM »