Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Reconstructing the helmet from the Staffordshire Hoard  (Read 1180 times)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Reconstructing the helmet from the Staffordshire Hoard
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
Free Eventbrite online talk this Thursday:

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/reconstructing-the-helmet-from-the-staffordshire-hoard-tickets-136339935417?utm-medium=discovery&utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-source=strongmail&utm-term=listing

A digital talk by Chris Fern, Staffordshire Hoard Project
About this Event

The reconstructed helmet from the Anglo-Saxon hoard from Staffordshire is already an iconic image. It is only the sixth from the British Isles to have been found from the early medieval period of the 5th to 8th centuries and based on its rich materials and ornament it was an object ‘fit for a king’. The lecture will describe all the surviving parts of the helmet and how they were brought together to form the reconstruction, it will consider the meaning of its decoration, and ultimately will explore the place of the helmet and the Staffordshire Hoard in the historical context of the kingdom wars of 7th-century England.

Chris was one of the lead researchers for the Staffordshire Hoard Project and co-author of the recent magnificent publication. He is a heritage consultant and an Honorary Research Fellow at the University of York.

The talk will be delivered via Zoom. The talk is FREE but booking is essential. Tickets are available until 5.30pm on the evening of the talk. A link will be sent to attendees on the day of the talk.
Phyllis

Bowerthane

Re: Reconstructing the helmet from the Staffordshire Hoard
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 04:47:29 PM »
I suppose theres no chance of it simply being put up on U-tube, Phyllis?   I dont have Zoom.

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: Reconstructing the helmet from the Staffordshire Hoard
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 04:28:24 PM »
I don't know if they did upload a recording afterwards. Sometimes they do - although I can't find it when I search I'm afraid. Eventbrite is often a "live only" experience.

There are lots of good talks copied up onto YouTube or Vimeo which don't require you to install zoom or whatever. Sue Brunning's Curator's Corbner is alwyas a good shout, although as she is at te British Museum she doesn't have the Staffordhsire stuff. The Birmingham Museum has put up simialr films, dating back a bit eg

https://youtu.be/ncpogOgw-BU
Phyllis