Gegaderung > General Discussion

Education Pack

(1/2) > >>

Phyllis:
I hope we might be able to use this thread to share thoughts and ideas and even, so help us, content, for an Education Pack for the use of schools and others. Hopefully I am in the right area of the Gegaderung...

At the Symbel the Yorkshire Gesithas raised the issue that we had had lots of enquiries at our stall at the Battle of Stamford Bridge regarding information to support the Key Stage 2 Curriculum for Anglo Saxons. Teachers were looking for material they could use, children and parents were looking for more information to extend their school work or to take back to show the teacher! Although we have lots of resources on the website it isn't especially aligned to the curriculum and certainly isn't in a straightforward pack for a busy teacher to download.

We are happy to take a bit of a lead in pulling a pack together with everyone's support. About 5 or 6 of us are prepared to put in some time to coordinate contributions, along with James who has offered to back us up.

I am attaching a summary of the KS2 curriculum for information.

Perhaps people could post offers, idea and contributions through this thread? Or contact me or Eanflæd.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bowerthane:
Can anyone tell me whether the following project of mine, long abandoned, is of any use within a Ðā Engliscan Ġesīþas educational pack?

What I have at hand, all ready to send to whom it may concern, originated as a ‘book within a book’ used by characters in my first attempt at children’s writing, My Saxon Story, an interactive book that I abandoned in about 2008.  Its ‘book within a book’ goes by the snappy title of The Dark Age Traveller’s Guide to the Known World and it’s ‘simply’ a timeline of the “Seven Saxon Centuries” through which real-life readers could pretend they were living, one day to one century, as their chosen character at an imaginary Saxon Summer School in the Lake District.

This is why it is divided into seven Microsoft Office Publisher Documents.

Yet I say ‘simply’ because of the graphic enhancement.  Each day/ century has its own front-page design and there are repeated thematic symbols and stylistic consistencies integral to the page layouts I have designed to embellish the text.  Near the beginning of each day/century is a repeat of the two-folio-spread key for the symbols that pepper the whole text, making the conventional road sign for road works stand for ‘Archaeological evidence’, the campsite sign stands for ‘Migration or settlement’, red crossed axes for ‘Battle on land’, blue for ‘Battle at sea’ etc., clarifying the significance of what the children are reading and pointing to how we know what we know in ways I hope they’ll find quirky, piquant and therefore a bit giggly.

The good news is that most ( though not all) of the text is to ‘finished standard’.  This is my personal slang for copy that I seriously hope is publishable, but anyhow the best I can do, to make a timeline of Old English history as clear, alluring and even funny to the nine-to-eleven age bracket at which the whole book was targeted.

Substandard text is highlit in red and may be just chunks of information stripped in from elsewhere that I never bothered to ‘work up’ after abandoning the book, plus a few facts and spellings still needing to be cross-checked.

The bad news is that it’s the other way round with the illustrations.  Most of the photographs, pictures etc. embedded in the text are merely place-holders, viz. stuff of indifferent quality pulled down anyhow from the Internet good only for reminding yours truly of what ought to take their place, once I’d found or designed illustrations of publishable quality and checked the former for copyright.  I certainly cannot recall where all these place-holders came from, now.

Needless to say, my hope is that high-flying members of Ðā Engliscan Ġesīþas with access to its photographic etc. archives, professional contacts, lashings of hot coffee etc. may be able to finish and upgrade this The Dark Age Traveller’s Guide to the Known World if Ðā Engliscan Ġesīþas is willing to take it off my hands.  Indeed improve it out of all recognition, why not?  Yes, I’ve been meaning to offer it to the Ġesīþas for years, and now looks like the time to get my finger out.

The other bad news, if my bad experiences with the Internet are anything to go by, is that it amounts to 113 of those MBs/ megabyte-thingies, which is surely asking for trouble if I ‘simply’ attach it to an email and send it to anyone. So unless somebody with professional insight can put my mind at rest on this, I suggest I post it on a data stick. If such a person can speak up here, on a PM or by email, by all means show me an email address and that’s where I’ll send it without more ado.

Otherwise I expect to download it all onto one of these little data sticks I don’t mind giving up, pop it in an envelope and send it by snail mail. In which case I shall need, a) professional reassurance that there’s no such scanner-or-whatever used by the Royal Mail that wipes data sticks, and b) a bricks-and-mortar address.

Unless of course nobody’s interested.

Eanflaed:
Bowerthane, that sounds very interesting and user friendly! And the right age group. If you don't mind sending it on a USB stick, I'll send you my address via private email. We've got a meeting on 12th November to discuss the education pack at which your contribution would be very gratefully received! Thank you for your generous offer.

peter horn:
before things get too advanced it might be a good idea to contact James Simister the Fellowship's
Education Officer, to get his views on the matter.
Peter Ealdor

Phyllis:
That sounds really interesting Bowethane, so I look forward to seeing it on 12th Nov with Eanflæd.

We will be meeting up with James too after that (once I have managed to get in touch and sort out a date - it's a bit hectic at present) so we will make sure everything gets tied together :)

Planning to keep posting on progress here so everyone knows what is happening

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version