Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: The Start of the Anglo-Saxon Year  (Read 2850 times)

David

• Ealdormann
The Start of the Anglo-Saxon Year
« on: November 22, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »
On more than one occasion in the Peterborough Chronicle I have noticed that the yearly report has started with the Christmas of the previous year. At first I thought that this was just dealing with events that overlapped the beginning of the year but this does not seem to be the case.

The report for 1095 starts with “On þissum geare” (in this year) and deals with the days leading up to Christmas 1094.

I was wondering whether the year might have started with the winter solstice rather than the calend/1st of January. At that time the actual solstice would have been about December 26th but they might have taken the December 21st, the nominal date.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 03:05:23 PM by David »

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Hlaford
Re: The Start of the Anglo-Saxon Year
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 05:01:39 PM »
I read somewhere recently (and now can't find it! but will keep looking) that the winter solstice used to be around 25th December but slipped with all the calendar shenanigans while obviously Christmas stayed on 25th. That would have made the solstice / Christmas a good new year starter.

Sorry - memory like a sieve :(

#notveryhelpful
Phyllis

Ælfric

• ceorl
Re: The Start of the Anglo-Saxon Year
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 02:58:17 AM »
The church year, which the monastic chroniclers likely used, would have started on the first Sunday of Advent.