Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Learning Old English  (Read 9805 times)

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
Learning Old English
« on: June 15, 2010, 03:38:40 PM »
---along with Steve Pollington's book and tape, I'm also using Mark Atherton's book 'Old English'.   I now understand that there is a CD which goes with this but which I don't have and it doesn't seem possible to buy the CD separately.

If anyone has the CD would they be very kind and burn me a copy or, even better, do a tape of it for me  --  I prefer a tape as you can stop, rewind and restart much more simply.

Thanks in advance.
Wessex Woman

Deorca

Re: Learning Old English
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
I have a copy of this CD, horrible though it is - it's the driest, least convincing reading of OE I think I've ever heard. I'll gladly burn you a copy of it, though. Either PM or email me your details, and I'll send it on.

Jim

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:58 PM »
Is it legal to make and give away copies?   Better check the copyright issues!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:00:41 PM by Kevin »

Karen Carlson

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 12:55:54 AM »
Kevin - thanks for bringing that up.  As someone who writes copyrighted material (at work, not what you'd think of as published material!), and who knows a few authors, I support copyright laws and try to be careful about "reasonable use."

Karen

David Cowley

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:00:58 AM »
Quote:
''- it's the driest, least convincing reading of OE I think I've ever heard''

I have the text readings on Aergeweorc - do you mean that? Why do you think its not convincing? I thought the pronunciation there is a good effort to get the texts over. We don't know the exact sounds of OE, nor its accents, so they're always going to be educated guesses. There are also always aspects of intonation and stress that are open to interpretation especially in poetry. I have found Aergeweorc really helpful, but would be very interested to see your views on where it falls short, especially on actual pronunciation.

Karen Carlson

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:46:48 PM »
I believe the CD that Deorca referred to with dislike was the one with the Mark Atherton book. 

Steve Pollington's Aergeweorc (tape or CD) is a good one.

Karen

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 06:29:59 PM »
I have a copy of this CD, horrible though it is - it's the driest, least convincing reading of OE I think I've ever heard. I'll gladly burn you a copy of it, though. Either PM or email me your details, and I'll send it on.

Jim

----thanks and IF it's legal and IF it is the CD which goes with Mark Atherton's book, I shall be glad to accept.   You're welcome to contact me on my e.mail:  Sonyaporter@aol.com
Wessex Woman

Deorca

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »
Karen is right, it was Atherton's reading on the TY CD that I was talking about - anyone who knows me from the Gegaderung's previous incarnation will know what a fan of Steve's readings I am.

Yes, indeed, copyright must be supported, and I wouldn't knowlingly breach anyone's copyright.

Jimbo