Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Ploughmen translations.  (Read 4785 times)

Wulfric

Ploughmen translations.
« on: March 31, 2012, 08:51:50 PM »
Could I have some help with confirmation of a translation please.

My Dad is doing a tapestry version of the ploughmen from the Julius Calendar, style inspired by the Bayeaux tapestry. He would like to put on text from another ploughmen picture he found online.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ploughmen_Fac_simile_of_a_Miniature_in_a_very_ancient_Anglo_Saxon_Manuscript_published_by_Shaw_with_legend_God_Spede_ye_Plough_and_send_us_Korne_enow.png

Is the translation given accurate and out of curiosity does someone know what manuscript it's from?

Many thanks for any help.

Wulfric.

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Ploughmen translations.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »

This does not look like old English to me.
It looks like some-one trying to be 'Olde Worlde'.
It might possibly be a middle English abomination.

Horsa

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
Yeah, plough is from ON, the English is sulh; the verb is erian.

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 01:17:35 AM »

This does not look like old English to me.....................................
According to the following book - which I am strongly inclined to believe - the original illustration is not "Anglo-Saxon" at all but dates from about 1400.

It can be found in Cambridge, Trinity College Manuscript R.3.14, fol. 3v. 
'A manuscript of the A-version of  'Piers Plowman', dating to around 1400.'

The picture on the "Wiki" link is a poor copy of that original with much detail omitted. 

The book containing this information is:-

"Printing the Middle Ages" by Siân Echard
University of Pennsylvania Press 2008
ISBN 978-0-8122-4091-7

The relevant information starts at page 1 in 'Introduction: Plowmen and Pastiches: Representing the Medieval Book'.

Here is the 'Google Books' link if it works:-

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=B6ZunEhzlLUC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=ploughing+anglo-saxon+shaw+manuscript&source=bl&ots=Gdgv2yctLI&sig=lRZcxkwRvd2gdm__gEJV94BBx3Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YZh3T_m2KZHA8QPMh8XZDQ&ved=0CEUQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

Wulfric

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
 :)Thankyou to all, I knew I could count on you guys.

I'd guessed at middle english myself also the artwork didn't feel right to me.

Next question is does anyone know of an ecclesiastic quote refering to ploughing. Does anyone know of one in old english or would anyone like to try a translation of one. There's a long way to go yet but when my Dad finishes the tapestry I'll post pictures.

Thanks again. Wolf.