Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Old English Phrases for the Traveler to Anglo-Saxon England by Mary Savelli  (Read 5801 times)

cenwulf

I've just downloaded the above book from Amazon, which is available only as a kindle download (though you can convert it into other formats). It's only short (around 60 pages), but it's set out like a modern traveller's phrase book. I like the fact that you can learn actual phrases, rather than trying to cobble them together from homilies etc. There's a very brief pronunciation guide, but no grammar. The short word list at the back is broken up into a few different categories e.g. arms and armour, food and the feast hall. Overall I think it's an entertaining and useful addition to the more comprehensive works we all have in our library.

Roge

Would you recommend ?

peter horn

• Hlaford
It sounds like an extension of her article in the Companion's Handbook (see `P 83-85 of that seminal publication)

Copies of the Handbook are still available for purchase from David Hinch Wita (see P 2 of WW 164 for contact details)

Peter
Ic ∂ær ær wæs
Ic ∂æt ær dyde

Roge

Will do thanks