Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Ænglisc Wikipædia  (Read 3866 times)

Deoran

• gesith
Ænglisc Wikipædia
« on: March 15, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Apologies if this has been discussed already, but I'm curious to know what gesiðas think of the Ænglisc Wikipædia, and the general desire to treat Old English as a living language; i.e. using it for everyday communication, deriving new coinings for concepts unfamiliar to the original speakers, etc.

http://ang.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C4%93afods%C4%ABde

John Nicholas Cross

Re: Ænglisc Wikipædia
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »
I feel that this is something for the linguists and dare I say it, the 'anoraks', as an academic exercise and not for the general person, interested in the history of the Anglo-Saxon period as a whole in all its facets, from c.400-1066AD.   I see nothing wrong with it, its just too arcane and academic to be of mainstream interest, I believe..   John.
PS.  I'm waiting to be 'shot down'.

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Ænglisc Wikipædia
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 08:10:15 AM »

I like the site and wish I had more time to spend on it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I would agree this posting would probably not have a place on the General Discussion Section or even Anglo-Saxon Discussion Section. However I feel it is right for the Old English Language Section even if it might not be to everyone’s taste.