Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Electronic Subscription Rate  (Read 17526 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Electronic Subscription Rate
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:13:45 PM »

In future would you be interested in receiving wiðowinde electronically for a lower subscription rate? The witan are considering this possibility but do not want to commit themselves until they have some idea of numbers and costings. Can you tell me what sort of saving would interest you? For example you might say you would take it electronically for a £16 but not for a £17.

You are free to comment about this on ġegaderung but if you just want answer please email the membership secretary at d.hinch@sky.com

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:45:00 PM by peter horn »

John Nicholas Cross

Re: Electronic Subscription Rate
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
I think this is something that needs due consideration and not a matter to be dealt with lightly.  Would the printed edition end?  Is this the thin end of the wedge to eventually do away with completely, the printed edition?    Is the intention to issue both an electronic and a printed version, for the foreseeable future?   Wouldn't the system be complicated to administer; there'd need to be a two tariff membership subscription?   There are still many folk without a computer and printer, so they'd be unable to print it off, if they wished to.   If the suggestion incurs a two-tier subscription level, I'm most surprised that our membership secretary has suggested it ----  it will mean more work and complications for him.   Keep things as simple as possible I say!!   If simplicity can prevail, I'm in favour of giving it a try.

I'll be interested to hear other members views and suggestions.

John Nicholas Cross.

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
Sorry but I prefer the printed version! I like to settle down in a comfy chair/sunlounger(!!) with a nice drink and enjoy. It's not the same sitting in front of a screen. I am quite happy to pay what we do at the moment and have a magazine I can take anywhere and lend to my Dad, friends, etc.

Deoran

• gesith
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
Just to clarify: the intention is to continue producing the printed version of Withowinde, but potentially to also offer an online delivery option, so that those who were interested could choose it as an alternative, for a lower subscription fee.

Let us know your thoughts on the matter!

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 08:55:38 PM »
---personally, I prefer to have the printed version.
Wessex Woman

Mark Case

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
I also prefer the printed version. I read so much on computers and phones these days that it's a joy, not to mention a relief, to be able to read something in print!

However, it seems like a good idea to offer members a choice. I'm all for it.

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:33:07 AM »

At the moment you are saying that you prefer the printed issue. Probably all of us do. However a sufficient discount would prompt me to consider taking wiþowinde electronically. I imagine that at first the offer would be very conservative with very few ġesīðas taking up the offer.

I would imagine that the initial offer for members in Britain would be a saving of about £1 per issue which would not be enough to tempt me to switch. However for members abroad it might be a saving of about £3 an issue which would be enough for me to consider a switch.

I must emphasise that no amounts have been discussed but these are what I, personally, would consider a cautious and sensible start. Later I would expect savings to increase as postal rates increase and a larger discount would be considered fairer.

Mark Case

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:24:27 PM »
Yes, I would expect people's preferences to change gradually over time. I currently subscribe to a current affairs magazine and love reading the printed version. I wouldn't want to read it on my phone or laptop - I simply wouldn't bother. I don't think my preferences will change to be honest, but other people's might.

Blackdragon

• thegn
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 01:24:01 PM »
I must to admit that I also prefer paper copy to electronic.

Longlocks

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:26:22 PM »
I also have to concur with the majority view on here - I much prefer to have the printed version in my hands.

Another point is that whenever I get the chance to explain what the fellowship is about to potential members, being able to show them an actual copy of the magazine is a great advantage.

peter horn

• Hlaford
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
I must admit, I do like to see my copies of WW handy on my bookshelf, and the extra copies that the Bocere  sends me
I distribute to various interested parties. However there may be a number of gesithas who will be happy with an electronic copy.
Peter
Ic ∂ær ær wæs
Ic ∂æt ær dyde

peter

• gesith
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
Printed edition PLEASE! Books were invented quite some years before these ecologically unfriendly 'e-book' things1

lawrence

• ceorl
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 11:34:22 AM »
I have only recently been converted to the Kindle, mainly because it takes up less space than the seat full of books I used to take on holiday. 

However, I much prefer the printed copy of Widowinde.

All the best,

Lawrence

culfer

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 02:32:28 PM »
I know I am new but I prefer paper copies to digital. Too much staring at screens hurts my eyes, I think the membership fee is fairly reasonable.

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 10:50:28 PM »

Like you I prefer the paper copy rather than a £2 discount.

It is very different for members living abroad where the discount is £18.