Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Monkey  (Read 6155 times)

Oshord

Monkey
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
Apologies if not the right place to ask this but, could anyone suggest a suitable AS word for monkey?

Horsa

Re: Monkey
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:43:24 AM »
Apa - Masculine.

Presumably the pre conquest English didn't distinguish between apes and monkeys.

Oshord

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »
Thanks, I had found apa but wasn't sure if it was ape as in to copy someone or ape as in the animal.

Horsa

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 02:04:05 PM »
I don't know what dictionary you're using but my Clark Hall "A Concise Anglo Saxon Dictionary". Only gives "Apa m. 'ape'". The "m" gives it away as a noun, but it's still not very satisfying. I use the the online thesaurus - http://oldenglishthesaurus.arts.gla.ac.uk/ - to find Old English translations of Modern English words, and then I cross check them in the Bosworth and Toller dictionary - http://www.bosworthtoller.com/- which gives you the word in use in different contexts. I haven't used my Clark Hall in years.

Iohannes

• gesith
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »
I confirm that, to my knowledge, both 'ape' and 'monkey' are apa in OE [compare r Affe (-n) in German, again meaning both].

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »

I agree with apa for both ape and monkey and that is obviously where the word ape came from. However where did the word monkey come from. The pronouncing of the “o” as a “u” would suggest to me that it might have come from an old English word like “muncē” or “munciġ”, although I have never heard of any word like those. Do any of you know where the word monkey comes from?

Oshord

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:28:10 PM »
Hi- thinking about I should have picked up it was a noun and to ape would have been a verb. Wasn't using my brain....

Monkey seems to have come from French via middle German.

Thanks for the two websites.

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »
---I remember how surprised I was to find in Steve Pollington's Wordcraft, the word for Africans  -- Africani.   Those Saxons certainly got around!
Wessex Woman

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 03:16:29 PM »

Wow! An englisc word with the plural ending in “i” - how does that decline?

Let me hypothesise. An Anglo-Saxon asks a Roman “Who are those people selling monkeys?” The Roman replies in impeccable Latin “Africani”, hence the importation.

Later we Anglicise this to African in the singular and Africanas in the plural.

I believe there is an alternative spelling with double f.

I await to hear the true story.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 03:18:07 PM by David »