Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Passive thoughts  (Read 3725 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Passive thoughts
« on: August 02, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »

I was told that there was no passive in old English so “I was met” would be translated as “man mētte mē”. However I would say that neither language has a proper passive mood but that both have the same strategies to deal with the passive.

1. Some unknown was active.
 This seems to be the most common in old English as in “man mētte mē”. For “I was bitten by a snake” we would presumably have “sum wyrm bāt mē”. We do use this occasionally in modern English as in “somebody hit me”.

2. To be participle/adjective.
 This seems to be the most common method in modern English as in “I was hurt”. We use this occasionally in old English as in “hit is ġewriten”.

3. Passive Verbs.
 Some verbs sound a little passive. In modern English we have verbs like borrow, endure, hear, learn, perish and suffer. In old English we have verbs like dwīnan, fūhtian, hātan, leornian, losian, sīclian, tēorian, þāwian, ðyrstan and wacian.
 Sometimes some of these can be used to switch round a passive eg “I was lent” to “I borrowed” and “I was taught” to “I learnt”

4. Avoidance
 A more drastic change as in change “It is dangerous to be bitten by a snake.” into “Snake bites are dangerous”     

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Re: Passive thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 06:50:55 PM »
I was told that there was no passive in old English .................................................

With the notable exception perhaps of 'hatan' which seems capable of use to express the passive voice  - "I am called../my name is..."?  As in various riddles which end 'saga hwæt ic hatte'.
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta