Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Pen pals  (Read 5616 times)

Oshord

Pen pals
« on: August 25, 2013, 05:29:25 PM »
I've been learning OE off and on for a few years. I find now that I prefer taking a well known phrase or piece of text and trying to translate that rather than working through courses lesson by lesson (with almost any subject put me in a formal learning sitting and I lose interest, allow me to go off by myself and I don't).

While playing around with translation the other day I thought back to school French and how we had pen pals. I wondered if the same could work for those learning OE - simply writing to someone about your day/week etc but in OE - and if anyone fancied having a go?

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Pen pals
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 06:35:38 PM »

Some people have posted a diary entry for a day when it is especially interesting. You could do the same. I write up an entry everyday on my computer. Unfortunately they are very short, repetitive and boring: not suitable for posting here. I do a lot of copy and paste.

Oshord

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
I do something like that on twitter (@oshord) where I post things in OE but feel it misses something since no one actually follows me!

Steve

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:55:50 PM »
Oshord, you now have someone following you!

Oshord

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 06:49:04 PM »
I had better say something interesting then!

Steve

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 09:32:49 AM »
I am looking forward to your tweets.  I am going to parse the sentences and enjoy learning in small chunks!

Horsa

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:11:40 PM »
I believe there is a thread on here that is written in Old English.

Yes, there is. Oh, and it was started by me.

http://www.tha-engliscan-gesithas.org.uk/gegaderung/index.php?topic=861.0