Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Germanic  (Read 4949 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Germanic
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:01:45 AM »

I am interested in the Germanic predecessors of old English. I have read Don Ringe’s book “From Proto-Indo-European to Proto-Germanic” which was very good on Proto-Germanic. However I have not seen much else. I was wondering about the books “A Concise Grammar of the Older Runic Inscriptions” and “Towards a Grammar of Proto-Germanic”. Can anyone recommend either of these or any other books? Can anyone suggest suitable web sites?

I also wonder about some of the pronunciation such as of ą and the trimoric o.

I would welcome any assistance.

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Re: Germanic
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:44:37 PM »

I am interested in the Germanic predecessors of old English. I have read Don Ringe’s book “From Proto-Indo-European to Proto-Germanic” which was very good on Proto-Germanic. However I have not seen much else. ....................................

I would welcome any assistance.
I have found this quite useful and it's online
http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/books/pgmc00.html
For instance - I love the explanation of 'eleven' and 'twelve' which apparently meant something like 'count to ten and there is/are one/two left over!'. 
A word of warning; proto-languages are guesswork.  All we have are the collections of languages that may well have had their origins in a common language.  As for pronunciation - there is enough of a problem in the actual pronunciation of Old English - the subject naturally becomes even fuzzier for earlier times.
Proto-languages are not my main interest - I am mainly interested in OE poetry (especially the riddles of the Exeter Book) but I do have a side-line interest in the relationship of PIE to some languages of Africa.
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:49:41 PM »

Thanks Linden. That looks really good.

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 03:01:04 AM »
A side-ways look at this.   I have a Parsi Indian friend who is a Zoroastrian and one day, early in our friendship, we were talking about Indo-European languages which include old Persian.   She then gave me a copy of her Holy Book and told me to open it, saying that I would be surprised at the title.   I was.   It said  'By Name Gad'.   I knew that Old Englisc contained some Sanskrit (uppa, abad, etc.) but not Persian.   Is it possible that there was a Mother Tongue which started around the Black Sea area and which was broken up and dispersed after the Black Sea Catastrophe  --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis   
Wessex Woman

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:41:02 AM »
..............   Is it possible that there was a Mother Tongue which started around the Black Sea area and which was broken up and dispersed after the Black Sea Catastrophe  ..................................
See the 'Kurgan' hypothesis.
As for Old English having more commonalities with Sanskrit than Persian, you really should look at a theoretical tree of the languages thought to derive from proto-Indo-European.  All three languages are in that tree but Old English is on a diverging path from that leading to Persian via Sanskrit.
Also please note that most, if not all, of the collected wisdom on proto-languages is theory and hypothesis - in other words a series of best guesses.
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta