Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Typing OE  (Read 5143 times)

wielisc

• ceorl
    • Damon Lord's site
Typing OE
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to type in OE.

At the moment, I mostly hand-write my notes, but with this forum, I'd eventually like to try typing in OE. The two solutions I'm currently thinking about are:

1. spend ages flicking through the add symbols function in Word to get the letters right, then copy and paste each AS letter, although this will be time-consuming
2. the other idea is to just switch my keyboard to Icelandic on the machine, and type that way, although this second idea would be without diacritics.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Ic þancie þe.
ic hātte Damon, Wīelisc mann oneardað Wiogoraceastre.
I'm Damon, a Welshman living in Worcester.

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Typing OE
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »

Well done Wīelisc. You are on ġegaderung and producing some englisc letters.

I am not sure if what I do is the same as your first alternative but I use insert symbol in Word.  This takes forever the first time you use one of the characters but is much easier after that, provided you do not use more than twenty different characters. Then I write the whole posting in Word and copy and paste it into the post.

Eanflaed

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
Leofwin taught me a much easier way to type in OE letters - ensure the num lock is pressed in then press "alt" whilst typing in the following numbers:
alt + 0230 = æ
alt + 0240 =ð
alt + 0254 = þ
alt + 0198 = Æ
alt + 0208 = Ð
alt + 0222 = Þ

peter horn

• Hlaford
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »
Leofwin taught me a much easier way to type in OE letters - ensure the num lock is pressed in then press "alt" whilst typing in the following numbers:
alt + 0230 = æ
alt + 0240 =ð
alt + 0254 = þ
alt + 0198 = Æ
alt + 0208 = Ð
alt + 0222 = Þ

doesnt work with the mac unfortunately
Peter
Ic ∂ær ær wæs
Ic ∂æt ær dyde

wielisc

• ceorl
    • Damon Lord's site
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »
ic þankie ēow.
I have a further query: we've got Ææ, Ðð, Þþ all sorted, but how important are the diacritics? I've seen Anglo-Saxon texts both with and without macrons, and the dot over the c and g are new to me, but logical for pronunciation guidance.
I've worked out another method by going to http://icelandic.typeit.org/ for ð, þ and æ, and then composing in the box, and then switching between the languages in the left-hand column there to get further letters. The Maori keyboard http://maori.typeit.org/ conveniently has the macrons ready to click for ā, ē, ī, ō, ū, but not for æsc.
The ǣ in particular takes a couple of clicks, by switching to the IPA full keyboard http://ipa.typeit.org/full/, selecting more symbols to open up the full range of symbols, selecting the macron, then selecting æ.
I still haven't worked out how to do the C dot or G dot there; but are there other symbols I need to look out for (ignoring ƿ, as I could use modern W, and ᵹ, using modern G)?
ic hātte Damon, Wīelisc mann oneardað Wiogoraceastre.
I'm Damon, a Welshman living in Worcester.