Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: W v V  (Read 3269 times)

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
W v V
« on: March 15, 2014, 12:43:55 AM »
Could someone tell me when and where either the 'W' pronounced by other Germanic countries as a 'V' became pronounced as we do, a 'W'.   Or vice versa.
Not even my German and Austrian friends know.
Wessex Woman

David

• Ealdormann
Re: W v V
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:03:31 AM »

It was that some other Germanic people changed the W sound into a V sound. At the time we used the letter ƿ for that sound. After the Norman Conquest several letters were experimented for that sound including "w", "u", "v", "uu" and "vv".

I think that several other Germanic languages were making the change from a "w" sound to a "v" sound about the time that the Anglo-Saxons came to Britain, but I am not sure of the timing.

wielisc

• ceorl
    • Damon Lord's site
Re: W v V
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:04 PM »
Just a quick thought on this, but from my preliminary studies of Nederlands (Dutch), it would suggest that Dutch is sort of the halfway point between W and V, where English (Anglo-Saxon) went with W and German went with the /v/ sound for the letter W.
ic hātte Damon, Wīelisc mann oneardað Wiogoraceastre.
I'm Damon, a Welshman living in Worcester.