Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Ðӕt  (Read 4793 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Ðӕt
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »

I am told that the Anglo-Saxons called ð ðӕt, not eð. Therefore I would expect ð to stand for the word ðӕt. In my limited experience I have seen the crossed þorn for þӕt but not ð.

Today in Roger Lass’s “Old English” I read that the Peterborough chronicle had “ð oþer dei”. My copy says “ðat oþer dei” and I have also seen “ðӕt oþer dei” so I suspected that Lass was probably correct about the original manuscript.

In a quick look on the internet I failed to find the Peterborough chronicle in manuscript form. Can anyone help me with that?
Can anyone tell me about any other use of  ð for ðӕt?

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
Re: Ðӕt
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »

I am told that the Anglo-Saxons called ð ðӕt, not eð. Therefore I would expect ð to stand for the word ðӕt. In my limited experience I have seen the crossed þorn for þӕt but not ð.

Today in Roger Lass’s “Old English” I read that the Peterborough chronicle had “ð oþer dei”. My copy says “ðat oþer dei” and I have also seen “ðӕt oþer dei” so I suspected that Lass was probably correct about the original manuscript.

In a quick look on the internet I failed to find the Peterborough chronicle in manuscript form. Can anyone help me with that?
Can anyone tell me about any other use of  ð for ðӕt?

Is this any help?
http://bodley30.bodley.ox.ac.uk:8180/luna/servlet/view/all/what/MS.+Laud+Misc.+636?os=0&pgs=250&sort=Shelfmark%252Csort_order
Cræft biþ betere ðonne æhta

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:27:26 AM »

Thank you, Linden!

So now I know that, in the entry for 1135 of the Peterborough Chronicle, ð was used as a short hand for ðӕt. Of course, that scribe was in the transition to middle English. It would be nice to have an earlier example. Any offers?

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
You are welcome David.

It's very odd that ð was used in this one instance.  Looking through other pages of the manuscript it appears to use the crossed þ elsewhere?

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »

Linden, did you remember that that scribe only wrote the entries from 1132 to 1154?

I noticed that from “Sume hi diden” in 1137 line 26 to “ oc bӕron al ð iren” in line 34 there are seven occasions of ð standing for ðӕt.

Linden

• Hlaford
  • Essex scirgerefa
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:16:32 PM »
Hi David

I have not studied the various manuscripts of the Chronicle so it's more true to say that I did not know than that I did not remember......

Very interesting though - was it just a particular scribe's preference do you think?

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 11:13:05 AM »
I rarely go back to the manuscripts, preferring the easier to read printed version. In fact, I think that the only manuscript I have actually seen is the Godwine charter.

It seems as though my copy of the Peterborough chronicles expands crossed thorns to “þet” and ð to "ðat". I had not realized that as it is littered with Tironian nota ands. Did the Anglo-Saxons really say and that often or is it just a punctuation mark in writing?

It seems as though the last scribe in the Peterborough chronicles liked to use ð for þӕt whereas the earlier scribes liked to use the crossed thorn. Are there other examples or ð used for ðӕt?