Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Just Another Linguistic Tease  (Read 3664 times)

Bowerthane

Just Another Linguistic Tease
« on: June 02, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »
Here I go again.  Does anybody want to guess where this came from:

Uppe wé gáþ sweostru, hléapan þæm weder
Néarra heofon lǽtten ús fléogan!
Hléapáþ mid ellen, hléapáþ mid wynn,
Hléapan on Berles nama.

Chorus:  Lá lá-lá lá lá lá!
           Lá lá-lá lá lá lá!

And I don’t see why I should cook up any more clues than you’re looking at already, so pay attention at the back.

lawrence

• ceorl
Re: Just Another Linguistic Tease
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
I am bedazzled by your skills!

Bowerthane

Re: Just Another Linguistic Tease
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 02:35:03 AM »
Tchoh, you’re too good at this game.  The punchline is that there really is a St Beryl, but she’s St Beryl of Antioch, not St Beryl of Norfolk.  She’s one of those eastern saints I came across whilst mugging up about the ‘Eastern Orthodox’ influence upon the Old English Church.  I’ll see what I can do about smuggling some cryptic crease-up about her and leaping into my kiddies’ book.  If memory serves the sunnan hléap was how the Old English expressed the concept of the plane of the ecliptic.