Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: "...butan hlimman sǽ"  (Read 12019 times)

Horsa

Re: "...butan hlimman sǽ"
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 02:50:22 AM »
Huzzah! That's the very fellow! I'm not as good a translator from Mod E to OE that I can match the translation to the rhythm of the original song. I couldn't even find an OE word for 'square'. I had to go for 'box'.

I like that film. I love the line "I rode the Hasselhoff". (My wife likes the the lines "bald, bald, MY EYES!" When King Neptune reveals his bald shiny head.)

Bowerthane

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 02:10:26 PM »
Okay, okay I get it now.  Maybe I should have said "cartoons are right off my radar".  But I've checked with the DVD rack in Virgin and beheld the error of my ways.

Thanks again, Horsa, for an enjoyable challenge.

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 03:39:35 PM »

I'm having trouble with quote but on December 8th Bowerthane said.

Oh, and are /mínútum/ and /secundum/ creative anachronisms or do you have a source for them?

I am reading Byrhtferth’s Enchridion and he deals with units of time. He has mīnūtum but for a time period of 6 minutes. For one minute he uses ostentum. He does not have a word for a second. His smallest unit is an atomos and there are six and four fifteenths atomos in a second. Did he have an atomic sundial?

His unit s are
376 atomos     =     1 ostentum      1 minute
1.5 ostenta      =     1 momentum
8/3 momenta  =     1 dǣl
1.5 dǣlas        =     1 mīnūtum
2.5 mīnūta      =     1 prica
4 prica            =     1 tīd                 1 hour
6 tīda              =     1fēorðling
4 fēorðlingas  =     1 dæġ              1 day
It looks as though atomos is from  Greek with ostentum, momentum and mīnūtum from Latin. 

Byrhtferth   dealt with most of this in the following magnificent sentence.

Se ān dæġ hæfð fēower and twentiġ tīda, and syx and hundnigontiġ prica, and mīnūta twa hundred and fēowertiġ, and þrēo hund dǣlas and syxtiġ, and momenta nigon hundred and syxtiġ, and ostenta ān þūsend and fēowertiġ and fēower hundred, and atomos fīf (hund) þūsend and fēowertiġ þūsend and ān þūsend and fēowertiġ and fēower hundred.

Byrhtferth missed out the “hund” in brackets.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:46:14 PM by David »

culfer

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
Haha when I joined tha Gesiðas I never realised how much fun I would have reading SpongeBob in Old English!