Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Female AEtheling?  (Read 7142 times)

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
Female AEtheling?
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:23:28 PM »
Silly question really, but I must ask it.   An American contact of mine keeps llamas and one has just had a female baby;  he asked me if there was a 'royal' name in AS for a senior royal woman.   I should like to tell him 'AEtheling' but of course all were male  --  how would you turn it into a female name?
Wessex Woman

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Female AEtheling?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »

It is difficult to find a word that only means a royal lady. The best I can suggest are cwēn, forþwīf, hlǣfdiġe or ġesīþwīf.

I am amused that on ġegaderung you were a ceorl, a ġesīþ, a þeġn and finally a hlāford.

peter horn

• Hlaford
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 10:49:19 PM »

I
I am amused that on ġegaderung you were a ceorl, a ġesīþ, a þeġn and finally a hlāford.

yes, for those who dont know
  titles based entirely on number of posts made.
I did consider deleting this feature, as it can be confusing
Peter
Ic ∂ær ær wæs
Ic ∂æt ær dyde

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:55 PM »

Maybe for Jayson you should have made it wīf, ġesīþwīf, forþwīf and finally hlǣfdiġe.

Jayson

• Hlaford
  • Knowledge is of no use unless it is passed on...
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 12:22:01 AM »
Thanks, everyone, but I think I'll just keep it as AEtheling since there doesn't seem anything more suitable than Hlafdige and that's a bit difficult to call in your latest baby llama from across the field!

And, Peter, please don't alter the 'feature'  --  I'm looking forward to being a thegn!
Wessex Woman

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »

Jayson, if you wish to return to being a thegn you must remove some of your postings.

john gilberthorpe

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »
I was thinking cwen might be a bit ambiguous and one wouldn't want to cast aspersions on the morals of llamas, then I noticed that Clark-Hill only gives woman, wife,consort, queen,  empress for "cwen", but adds common woman and prostitute for "cwene". Is that a difference in meaning or just a matter of what appears in the written material?

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »
Thanks, everyone, but I think I'll just keep it as AEtheling since there doesn't seem anything more suitable than Hlafdige and that's a bit difficult to call in your latest baby llama from across the field!

And, Peter, please don't alter the 'feature'  --  I'm looking forward to being a thegn!

Well Jayson you got your wish.
Peter Horn erased some of our postings so you are back to being a thegn.