Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Numbers back in time  (Read 3484 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Numbers back in time
« on: August 16, 2016, 03:24:28 PM »

Listen to the suggested changes in the pronunciation of some of our numbers going back in time, in most cases as far back as Proto Indo European. The transformations are made using mathematical and statistical analysis of the spectrograms of the sounds by a team at the University of Oxford.
http://www.phon.ox.ac.uk/jcoleman/ancient-sounds-audio.html

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Numbers back in time
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 08:30:44 PM »

Below I give my suggestions on the numbers although they do not seem to agree exactly with what I’m hearing on the links

Modern            Middle               Old               Western           Proto               Proto
            English            English            English          Germanic       Germanic      Indo European

1           one                   oon                  ān                    ain                ainaz                 óynos

2           two                   twei                 twā                  twai                twō                  dwo

3           three                 tre                   þrīe                 þrīz                  þrīz                tréyes

4           four                 fower              fēower              feuwar            fedwōr            kwetwóres

5          five                    fif                     fīf                    fimf                 fimf                pénkwe

8          eight                eahte              eahta               ahtōu              ahtōu               oktōw

9          nine                nyne                nigon               niwum            newum             h1newn

10         ten                 tene                 tīen                  tehun              tehun              dekmd

« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 08:35:06 PM by David »