Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: King Harold Day 2016  (Read 7143 times)

David

• Ealdormann
King Harold Day 2016
« on: August 30, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »

This year the English Companions will have a tent at the King Harold Day at Waltham Abbey on Saturday October 8th.  Last year it was a very good day for us and we hope to do as well this year.

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: King Harold Day 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:39 PM »
Sorry we can't make it but I hope all goes well.
Phyllis

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 08:27:46 AM »

Phyllis, I never expected you to come as it is so far for you to come and I thought that you would be involved with Stamford Bridge about that time. I am so amazed that you are coming to Battle. I look forward to seeing you at Battle and the Companions feast at Derby.

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 07:46:31 PM »
We will certainly be at Stamford Bridge! It's quite a to-do this year naturally so all hands to the Yorkshire decks :)

There are quite a few of us getting a coach down to Battle - it should be a good turn out. We're summoning the fyrd, so to speak!

We'll see you there, and indeed in Derby I hope

Phyllis
Phyllis

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »

We had a successful King Harold again this year at Waltham Abbey. Thank you to all those ġesīðas who came to help. Here are a couple of photos. Justine Blaydon and Tom Wright are discussing craftwork. Tom Wright is demonstrating nailbinding to a visitor. Arthur Wright is talking to another visitor with his castle behind him. Hanging from the tent we have some bunting made up the Ice Breakers that Phyllis Wicks produced. They worked very well. Geoff Littlejohns and I were also there for the whole day. At midday they held the costumed procession through the town followed by wreath laying at the Haroldstone. Geoff read out extracts from the Wanderer in Old English at the wreath laying. At the time I was the only helper not in costume so I was left to man the tent by myself. Then Tom and I read “The Little Red Hen” in modern and old English in the morning and Geoff and I did the same with “Peace at Last” in the afternoon.
John and Anna Sichel joined the companions there. John has just emailed me. He says that Anna thought that he was mad joining them up. Now John complains that he cannot get to see the handbook as Anna is monopolizing it. He is musing that maybe they should have bought two copies.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 06:04:27 PM »
Great to hear about a successful day and well done to all the gesithas there!

I'm glad the bunting and translations were useful. The bunting looks good in the picture - we will have to think about doing that on our little gazebo too.

See you in Hastings!
Phyllis