Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Middle English  (Read 5081 times)

David

• Ealdormann
Middle English
« on: October 27, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »

I was wondering whether anyone could advise me on books of Middle English grammar. Lots of books just mention some of the changes that happened in that period but do not set out the grammar for the different dialects.

A few years ago I bought “A Book of Middle English” by J. A. Burrow and Thorlac Turville-Petre in a second hand bookshop. It does deal with the grammar but I was wanting something a bit more thorough. I was wondering about “An Introduction to Middle English and Texts” by R. D. Fulk. Does anyone know the book?

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: Middle English
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
Hi David

I don't know Fulk's book personally but he is a recommended author on the on-line course I am doing at the moment with Oxford University if that is any help...

Wes hal

Phyllis
Phyllis

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »

Thanks Phyllis.

I know that Fulk is a good author. He wrote the best book I have seen on Old English Grammar and his name always crops up in Germanic but I do not know about Middle English.

Are you doing a course in Middle English? Are there any books that you would recommend?

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 02:35:43 PM »
Hello David

No. I'm doing one on Anglo-Saxon Poetry, although it's whetting my appetite for Middle English. Sadly Middle English will have to get in the queue behind Old Norse as I have promised myself to try that out as well! So many languages, so few brain cells :(

I'm just poking my nose in without any good information really - sorry

But i'd love to hear how you get on so I can follow along one day
Phyllis

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »

I am outside my comfort zone with Middle English. However I would not be surprised if Fulk's book is the best on Middle English grammar at the moment. I do feel that it could be challenged when Don Ringe brings out volume 3 of his "A Linguistic History of English". Volume 1 was ouststanding and volume 2 looks just as good although I am still working my way through that.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 09:25:09 AM by David »

David

• Ealdormann
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »

Fulk's book is a bit expensive so I persuaded my brother to buy it for me as a joint birthday and Christmas present which I received early as it was convenient for him to come and see me this weekend. At first glance I can see that it is more thorough than the other book. I think the two together will work out fine.

peter

• gesith
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
   You folks may already be aware, but Waterstones do have a 'Marketplace' for second-hand and out-of-print books, I get some of my poetry stuff off of them. Foyles also do a similar service but on a slightly smaller scale. I don't know if this helps, but it has saved me money in the past (I managed to get Campbell's The Anglo-Saxons (£6) and Blackwell's Encyclopaedia of A/S England (£8)through Marketplace).

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »
   You folks may already be aware, but Waterstones do have a 'Marketplace' for second-hand and out-of-print books, I get some of my poetry stuff off of them. Foyles also do a similar service but on a slightly smaller scale. I don't know if this helps, but it has saved me money in the past (I managed to get Campbell's The Anglo-Saxons (£6) and Blackwell's Encyclopaedia of A/S England (£8)through Marketplace).

I agree it's always worth checking - got Klaeber's Beowulf recently for under a fiver :)
Phyllis