Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Doing the steeking in the past tense  (Read 4621 times)

Michael Æðeling

Doing the steeking in the past tense
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:54:18 AM »
Éala all,

I have become a kiltmaker in my spare time. Since January I have made 17 kilts by hand.

In the process of kiltmaking, there is a phase called “doing the steeking”, from the OE word “stekan” (with a “k”, but I suspect was originally “stecan”) meaning to transfix one thing to another by sticking it with a sharp object. In this case, the inside of the pleats are “steeked” in order that they do not sag in the middle.

The word “steek” is lost to New English but was preserved in Scots/Lallan, but as far as I know is only used in kiltmaking. It is cognate with “stick”.

But kiltmakers never write or say “steeked”. They always speak of “doing the steeking”, as in “I did the steeking”.

So since it is a very old word, it is probably a strong verb too, like “stick”. I was wondering if anyone here could point me in the right direction for what the preterite and past participle of “stecan”/“stekan” might have been.

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Doing the steeking in the past tense
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »

The old English verb you want is stacan, alternatively possibly stǣcan or stagan.
I believe it is weak class I so the past should be stacede etc.

Michael Æðeling

Re: Doing the steeking in the past tense
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
Thanks David.