Welcome to the discussion forum of Ða Engliscan Gesiðas for all matters relating to the history, language and culture of Anglo-Saxon England. I hope it will provide a useful source of information, stimulate research, and be of real help. Ða Engliscan Gesiðas (The English Companions) maintains a strictly neutral line on all modern and current political and religious matters and it does not follow any particular interpretation of history. Transgression of this Rule will not be tolerated. Any posts which are perceived as breaking this Rule will be deleted with immediate effect without explanation.

Author Topic: Better late than never  (Read 2361 times)

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Better late than never
« on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:47 AM »
I have just started going through the OE correspondence course material again to try and learn all the ending s properly, as I am so useless at remembering them.

Anyway, I realise I'm a bit slow of brain, but I suddenly recognised the derivation of the modern phrase "willy nilly" for the first time and felt ridiculously pleased about it!

Little things...
Phyllis

David

• Ealdormann
Re: Better late than never
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 04:38:17 PM »
Presumably the englisc should be wille nylle?

Phyllis

• Administrator
  • Ealdormann
Re: Better late than never
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 09:38:51 AM »
yes, it is, and it was only because I was muttering the words under my breath as reading that it hit me! I've been seeing it on the page all this time.... ::)
Phyllis