Gegaderung > Old English Language

Personal pronouns & grammar book

(1/6) > >>

Wayne Aelfhere:

Greetings friends.
 I have a 3-part grammar question for you today if you would be so kind.
I need to know the correct form of the personal pronoun "you", plural, and if the examples need, or just imply, a preposition.

My examples are:
Ic bidde eow (I ask of you)
Ic þancie eow (I thank you)
Ic spelle eow (I proclaim to you)

So,
Part 1) do any of these require the preposition "to" - particularly the last example, or is the preposition implied by the case/form of the latter personal pronoun?

Part 2) what on earth are the correct forms of "eow" (2nd person plural)? For the first two, I would guess the word would take the accusative/object form of "eow"...whatever that is. And the third example smells like dative to me, but again, I don't know if there is a dative form of "eow".

Part 3) is there a "user-friendly" grammar book which would have answered these questions? Then I wouldn't have to bother you all with these things!
I have phrase books & Leofwin, but it's very time consuming having to leaf through and deduce the grammar from examples. There aren't necessarily the examples I need anyway.

Thank you all so very much in advance for any help you can give.
With best wishes,
Wayne.

Phyllis:
Hi Wayne

Here is what I have found in Bosworth Toller:

BIDDAN, ic bidde, ðú biddest, bidst, bitst, he biddeþ, bit, byt, bitt, pl. biddaþ; impert. bide, pl. biddaþ; p. ic, he bæd, ðú bǽde, pl. bǽdon; pp. beden : followed by an acc. of the person, or by the prep. to, and a gen. of the thing; v. trans. To ask, pray, intreat, beseech,

þancian - with dat. of person to whom thanks are given

spellian (when trans) example implies dative - Him wæs lust ðæt hé ðiossum leódum leóð spellode,

The forms I have are:

Nom   "gē or git - you two/both"

Acc   "ēow / ēowic incet"

Gen   "ēower (declines)** or incer"

Dat   "ēowrum or inc"

eower** drops 2nd -e- when ending added eg eowrum, eowre

If you don't have Stephen Pollington's First Steps that might be good? And the Bosworth Toller site offers examples and links also links the old Grammar by Wright which is scanned in. It's here:

https://bosworthtoller.com/

Or do just ask!

Wayne Aelfhere:
Yay! That's excellent Phyllis, thank you. That looks like a fantastic resource, the Bosworth site. I will order Pollington's book. His stuff is always good & approachable. Many thanks and very best wishes.  :)

Wayne Aelfhere:
Just looked at Pollington's book and notice that's a complete course rather than a grammar reference. Is there an "old English quick grammar reference for dummies"-type of book?
Thanks.

David:
Just to add a couple of things to what Phyllis said.

Iċ spelle should be iċ spellie.

They usually do not have a preposition but they can do.

The cases for the plural you are
Nominative                 ġē
Accusative                  ēow
Genitive                     ēower
Dative                        ēow

Building up biddan
I am asking him                           Iċ bidde hine (accusative)
I am asking him for food               Iċ bidde hine (accusative) metes (genitive)
I am asking him for food for her    Iċ bidde hine (accusative) metes (genitive) hire (dative).

Building up þancian
I thank him                          Iċ þancie him (dative)
I thank him for the food        Iċ þancie him (dative) þæs metes(genitive)

Building up spellian
I am telling him                       Iċ spellie him(dative)
I am telling him a poem           Iċ spellie him(dative) lēoð (accusative)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version